On Silver's times

Open to public view.

On Silver's times

Postby Mink » 29 Nov 2014 21:06

Hello all,

I've made a small article: On Silver's times

It's mainly a compilation of the most significant portions of the text necessary to understand true and false times...

Regards,
--
Vincent Le Chevalier
Ensis Sub Caelo
Mink
2nd Lieutenant

Re: On Silver's times

Postby Cutlery Penguin » 04 Jan 2015 10:45

Hi Vincent,

I've not been around here much recently so missed this up until now. As usual you bring your ability to describe a concept succinctly and objectively to the subject of Silver's Times.

It's really nice to see someone looking to Silver's manuals to help decipher his definitions rather than simply assuming he means the same as everyone else.

Also thanks for the kind words.
Oz
Kingslayer 2011

English Martial Arts
Learn Classical Pugilism online!

"Oz deserves to be insulted as he was fairly sarcastic"
Cutlery Penguin
Gentleman

Postby Mink » 04 Jan 2015 13:59

Hi,

Thanks! I'm glad to know you have liked it. Kind words were amply deserved as you have heavily contributed to my thinking and understanding of this source :)

Not sure that will be enough to stop the widespread misuse of the terms but it's worth a try!

Regards,
--
Vincent Le Chevalier
Ensis Sub Caelo
Mink
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jonathan Waller » 04 Jan 2015 21:31

Given that words are just a model of the thing and not the thing themselves, they can be take to mean almost anything and given our species ability to read in to the same words enough differences to persecute and kill over them... well at least it's trying.... :shock:
At this rate we can get a good schizim going with rival factions, Catholics and Protestants.... it's what it means because that's how we read it.... and this is what it means because that's what he says and what he says he meant.
:lol:
Jonathan Waller
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Mink » 04 Jan 2015 22:23

I can definitely see parallels between HEMA and religious fundamentalism :) Except the sources are far less ambitious than religious texts of course ;) The whole idea of HEMA - in my opinion - is that sources contain stuff that we would not be able to reinvent or that was not transmitted.

I agree that there are necessarily ambiguities and things that will be left undecidable, given the limitations of the medium. I don't agree that the basic properties of false and true times according to George Silver fall in that category.

Regards,
--
Vincent Le Chevalier
Ensis Sub Caelo
Mink
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jonathan Waller » 05 Jan 2015 09:52

Only time will tell :D I'd still wonder, regardless of a lack ambiguity, that humans find endless ways to disagree over interpretation, though yes actual definition of the actual times is pretty clear in isolation, the issues seem to come when people then integrate them, or other concepts in to the rest of Silver.
Jonathan Waller
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Cutlery Penguin » 06 Jan 2015 01:23

I think the problems come when people try to integrate them into their Renaissance swordplay. If they stuck to just doing Silver then it wouldn't be a problem. He's pretty clear in isolation, it's when people look at contemporary systems that things get confused.

They use the same words, so they must have the same definitions...
Oz
Kingslayer 2011

English Martial Arts
Learn Classical Pugilism online!

"Oz deserves to be insulted as he was fairly sarcastic"
Cutlery Penguin
Gentleman

Postby knirirr » 07 Jan 2015 18:29

Cutlery Penguin wrote:They use the same words, so they must have the same definitions...

Although in the case of my source(s) they describe different weapons and primarily use rather different words, yet I think that something fairly similar is being described. ;-)
"FOR, to my certain knowledge I can affirm, that no People in the World, have a swifter Hand in Thrusting, nor any, a more loose or uncertain Parade, than the French."
knirirr
Gentleman

Return to General Historical Martial Arts