Groups located in or around York?

Open to public view.

Groups located in or around York?

Postby SwiftSnowmane » 04 Jun 2007 22:46

Greetings!

I was referred to this site from another forum (MyArmoury.com), and I hope that you can maybe help me out.....

I am from the US originally (though currently living in Iceland) and will soon be moving to the UK. I will be in the UK for a year as I am getting my M.A. in Medieval Sudiies from the University of York starting October 2007. I am very much interested in joining some sort of historical martial arts group while I am in the UK, though I must admit I am a complete beginner when it comes to HEMA. I have studied academically but really have no practical skills....yet. I hope to be able to remedy that a little bit starting this Fall. :)

My area of interest is mainly in the early medieval period (Migration-era, Anglo-Saxon, and VIking), but of course I realize it may be hard to find a group that does that kind of fighting (aside from reenactment groups). I am of course interested in later periods as well. The only thing I am NOT interested in is fencing (nothing against it, its just not what I'm currently interested in). Basically something that is within the medieval period would be preferable. :p

If anyone here could point me in the right direction towards a group or chapter located in or around the York area, I would be most grateful. The closest thing I have been able to find so far on my own is the group that is located at the Royal Armouries in Leeds. I am willing to travel that far if need be, but I am hoping for something perhaps a bit closer to where I will be located.

Thanks in advance,

~ Shamsi
SwiftSnowmane
Recruit in training

Postby SwiftSnowmane » 05 Jun 2007 17:14

Edited to say:

I forgot to mention that I also have an interest in keeping up my archery skills while I'm away.....

Soo.....anyone have any suggestions? :wink:
SwiftSnowmane
Recruit in training

Postby scholadays » 05 Jun 2007 17:31

Hello SwiftSnowmane.

I have no idea whatsoever I'm afraid.

But...but...I just thought I'd say hello, as this thread looked lonely.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
A lot of knowledge can also be a dangerous thing - in the right hands.
scholadays
Field Marshal

Postby SwiftSnowmane » 05 Jun 2007 17:37

Thanks for the welcome! This site is very informative, I'm glad I found it. :-)
SwiftSnowmane
Recruit in training

Postby scholadays » 05 Jun 2007 18:17

SwiftSnowmane wrote:Thanks for the welcome! This site is very informative,

Yeah, once we had issued the monkeys with their typewriters it did indeed become quite the success.
A lot of knowledge can also be a dangerous thing - in the right hands.
scholadays
Field Marshal

Postby J Marwood » 06 Jun 2007 12:17

I asked the BFHS guys and I think the closest group would be Leeds. However Mark Donnelly (http://www.ssswordsmanship.co.uk/) has a number of groups around that area - might be worth giving him a shout.
J Marwood
Field Marshal

Postby Stevie T » 06 Jun 2007 12:46

Mark D has a Rapier group in Sheffield, Leeds and his latest is now at Branspeth Castle.

I train with mark and he's very good, though I would like to see a little more freeplay/sparring.

His latest group at Branspeth Castle train along side Phil Crawley and students can swap classes as they wish. Phil is doing back sword, English Staff and Longsword.

A little closer to York but probably no more so than Leeds, is me! I'm trying to get things organised to look a Longsword techniques, probably focusd on the German tradition, with some study of the HArleian stuff as and when.

In all honesty I know diddly squat, so it will be a study group rather than training, but you'd be more than welcome.

If your interested in either group PM me and we can have a chat.

Paul B should be along in a mo to let you know about the EHCG and KDF who are based in Leeds.
Stevie T
Field Marshal

Postby Paul B » 06 Jun 2007 13:03

speak of the devil and he appears!

Yeo, EHCG/KDF train 7-9pm mondays and thursdays at the royal armouries in Leeds (5-10 min walk from the train station).
We concentrate on german longsword, although we also do sword and buckler and dagger work.

As far as archery goes, there is a re-enactment group called Company of Palm Sunday 1461 who shoot longbow at the crooked billet pub near Saxton on a sunday. Fran (sekhemet) could tell you more about that
.... or I could be completely wrong.

Paul Bennett SG6 - Bradford (Won/Lost/Played) 0/1/1
Carpentry and wooden weapons:
http://www.historicarts.co.uk
Paul B
Got Wood

Postby SwiftSnowmane » 06 Jun 2007 22:14

Thank you SO much everyone. After a day of no responses I suddenly get a bunch! :D

I am much more interested in longsword/staff/dagger than rapier at this moment, so it seems like Paul B and Stevie T have their fingers on my pulse so to speak. ;)

As for traveling from York to Leeds, it shouldn't be a problem.....I've done the trip before, especially to visit the Armouries (which I LOVE).

I still have plenty of time to figure this all out, but thanks for the prompt replies. I will send some of you PMs shortly.....

Takk fyrir,

~ Shamsi
SwiftSnowmane
Recruit in training

Return to Talk to Schola Gladiatoria