Dhanurveda - 15th Century Indian Archery "Treatise"

Open to public view.

Dhanurveda - 15th Century Indian Archery "Treatise"

Postby Lyceum » 26 Jun 2015 16:43

"Treatise" in quotes because it seems to be more of a philosophical discussion. Not read it fully, it might have some interesting tidbits. Scanning the Sanskrit PDF (poorly formatted and in need of re-typing) there's something about the length of arrows at one point, so it might be practical here and there. Incidentally, I've never heard of this anthology before and the author seems to be no great stylist. (Maybe that reflects authenticity and provenance? I guess grammar went out the windows when the Mughals were around.)

http://www.atarn.org/india/dhanurveda_eng.htm
No language is justly studied merely as an aid to other purposes. It will in fact better serve other purposes, philological or historical, when it is studied for love, for itself"

Mind now changed...
Lyceum
Field Marshal

Re: Dhanurveda - 15th Century Indian Archery "Treatise"

Postby Sean M » 27 Jun 2015 08:25

Thanks. I had an opportunity to learn some Sanskrit in Calgary, but I had the sense to make polite noises and back away.

I wonder if this has any connection to the Greek and Arabic traditions of archery manuals.
how could anyone resist becoming
part of what I thought you were?
Sean M
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Megalophias » 27 Jun 2015 08:31

Lyceum wrote:"Treatise" in quotes because it seems to be more of a philosophical discussion. Not read it fully, it might have some interesting tidbits. Scanning the Sanskrit PDF (poorly formatted and in need of re-typing) there's something about the length of arrows at one point, so it might be practical here and there. Incidentally, I've never heard of this anthology before and the author seems to be no great stylist. (Maybe that reflects authenticity and provenance? I guess grammar went out the windows when the Mughals were around.)

http://www.atarn.org/india/dhanurveda_eng.htm

The less Sanskrit grammar, the better. Nobody needs that many conjugations.
Jon Pellett

How do you know but ev'ry Bird that cuts the airy way,
Is an immense world of delight, clos'd by your senses five?
Megalophias
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Lyceum » 30 Jun 2015 20:31

Come on guys Sanskrit isn't hard.

Sean M wrote:Thanks. I had an opportunity to learn some Sanskrit in Calgary, but I had the sense to make polite noises and back away.

I wonder if this has any connection to the Greek and Arabic traditions of archery manuals.

That's v. interesting. On one hand I'm tempted to outright say no given the pretty effusive pedagogical/didactic tradition in India from a time before languages like Arabic were written. On the other hand we know the Mughals had their own tradition of archery/horsey manuals and they must have had Arabic influence and we actually don't really know too much about the Mughal influence on Sanskritic culture during the early modern period. Hmm...interesting, but way beyond my ability to even try to and answer I'm afraid.
No language is justly studied merely as an aid to other purposes. It will in fact better serve other purposes, philological or historical, when it is studied for love, for itself"

Mind now changed...
Lyceum
Field Marshal

Return to Arms & Armour, History, Militaria, Archaeology, Art