18-19 centuries armour

Open to public view.

18-19 centuries armour

Postby Vasilly » 06 Feb 2015 11:44

There are quite alot of information on medieval and even ancient armour all around the internet, even some serious books reviewing armour's metallurgy and microstructure.

But so far I found nothing on 18-19 centuries armour. Maybe someone here could help me with this matter?
Vasilly
Recruit in training

Re: 18-19 centuries armour

Postby MEversbergII » 06 Feb 2015 16:02

Pretty limited from what I know, at least in Europe. Buffcoat was in use in the early 18th at least, and I know cuirassiers were a thing in Napoleons army, evolving from demilancers of the 16th/17th. They were just wearing breastplates at that point, though.

M.
When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.

Best Advice on the Whole Site
MEversbergII
Major

Postby the underground man » 06 Feb 2015 22:28

I'd suggest European Arms and Armor: From the Renaissance to the Industrial Revolution, written by Ewart Oakeshott. It basically starts in the Renaissance/Early Modern period and ends at the end of the 18th century and covers a broad range of topics involving arms, armor, and the application thereof. It wouldn't be as thorough as something just about armor, but finding well-researched books on the topic can be difficult, especially if you're looking for current materials.

For other options, I'd try looking at some books that are concerned with the broader topic of warfare during the 18th and nineteenth centuries, particularly the Napoleonic Wars. Often times even surveys of such subjects will address the tactics and the kit of the soldiers on the ground, though they aren't always thorough, or 100% accurate (not usually huge mistakes, but little things can be simplified or misrepresented, like cold steel/close fighting, etc...)
the underground man
Private

Postby Sean M » 07 Feb 2015 09:47

Vasilly wrote:There are quite alot of information on medieval and even ancient armour all around the internet, even some serious books reviewing armour's metallurgy and microstructure.

But so far I found nothing on 18-19 centuries armour. Maybe someone here could help me with this matter?

You want the book by Lord Egerton of Tatton, Indian and Oriental Arms and Armour, reprinted by Dover. I don't know what to suggest for North-East African, Turkish, Persian, Malay, Tibetan, Chinese, or Japanese armour, but quite a lot of what existed was available in India.
how could anyone resist becoming
part of what I thought you were?
Sean M
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Vasilly » 07 Feb 2015 21:52

I should've probably mentioned that I'm interested in european armour, and specifically it's dimentions, especially thickness and the material it was made of, including metallurgy and microstructure.

There's an awesome book on the subject for medieval armour called "The knight and the blast furnace", I guess I'm looking for something like that but for latter period.
Vasilly
Recruit in training

Postby Thearos » 12 Feb 2015 13:07

Yes, very interesting-- how were cuirassier breastplates made, what were the specifications, in the C19th ?
Thearos
Colonel

Postby Dan Howard » 21 Mar 2015 22:59

Bulletproof armours made from silk started to be used at the end of the 19th and early 20th centuries. Casimir Zeglen did some testing in Chicago in 1901 and found that four layers of his special weave of silk (total thickness of 3mm) could stop pistol bullets at 8 paces. Arch Duke Ferdinand wore one of these when he was assassinated. Unfortunately he was shot in the neck.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4625858
http://www.academia.edu/8701355/Tailore ... Proof_Vest
Dan Howard
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Phil C » 22 Mar 2015 10:10

"Little Pete" the Chinese tong leader of 1870s San Fransisco, famously wore a mailshirt and iron skullcap whenever outside the house (along with four bodyguards, a troop of hatchetmen and two valets to carry his jewellery and toiletries bags).

Unfortunately because this was known he was finally killed by a revolver being shoved down the collar of his coat, under the shirt and shot point-blank.
--Effete Snob--
"I have a sword to defend my honour. I have a stick to answer those without honour."

http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/
Phil C
Lieutenant General

Return to Arms & Armour, History, Militaria, Archaeology, Art