Most common material of medieval bucklers

Open to public view.

Most common material of medieval bucklers

Postby Vino » 09 Oct 2014 21:00

From what I know bucklers were either full steel or mostly wood with a steel boss and rim, but which of these were more common in the Middle Ages?
Vino
Private

Re: Most common material of medieval bucklers

Postby MEversbergII » 10 Oct 2014 02:12

The wood ones.

M.
When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.

Best Advice on the Whole Site
MEversbergII
Major

Postby Vino » 14 Oct 2014 08:06

Okay, another question, were arming swords most commonly used with or without a buckler?
Vino
Private

Postby admin » 15 Oct 2014 12:35

Vino wrote:From what I know bucklers were either full steel or mostly wood with a steel boss and rim, but which of these were more common in the Middle Ages?

It really depends on what period you're talking about. But the 15th century it seems steel bucklers were probably most common. However in the 14th century it was probably an even split between steel, wood and hardened leather (with steel reinforcement). If you go back to the 13thC then the wood and leather ones were probably most common. It also depends partly on region - the Welsh seem to have retained leather and iron bucklers into the 16th century for example, and you could say that the Scots retained the wooden targe all the way through to the 18th century.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby admin » 15 Oct 2014 12:38

Vino wrote:Okay, another question, were arming swords most commonly used with or without a buckler?

Again, it depends on where, when and by whom. They were worn by knights and higher nobles around town, usually by themselves and without bucklers. They were carried in war until the mid-14th century generally with a shield by knights and by people like archers generally with a buckler. Chaucer's pilgrims carried swords and bucklers when travelling, for safety. So it depends :)
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Return to Arms & Armour, History, Militaria, Archaeology, Art