Hungarian arms and armor 1260-1320

Open to public view.

Hungarian arms and armor 1260-1320

Postby Martin Greywolf » 26 Sep 2014 10:13

I was wondering if anyone here has pictures of weapons and armor used in northwestern Hungary (present day western Slovakia) at the very beginning of 14th century, especially archaeological finds. I'm trying to put together what arms and armor Matúš/Maté/Matthew Csák/Čák (c. 1260 - 1321) and his familiars would use.

I already have Chronica Picta/Vienna Chronicle, what I'm mainly trying to find out is if Csaks' own helmet would be western style greathelm (e.g. Codex Manesse type), or open-faced version shown mainly in Chronica Picta (it does show very, very few great helms and visored bascinet, about five in total). Some actual weapon finds would be nice, too, there aren't many of them around the internet - or my google-fu is really weak.

I'd also be interested in your opinion on how much Hungary was westernized weapons and tactics -wise in this period, I'm discussing this with a few people elsewhere, and we can't reach an agreement.

Thanks for any help, if we get the reconstruction off the ground, and if anyone is interested, I'll try to post pictures.
Martin Greywolf
Private

Postby Ulrich von L...n » 26 Sep 2014 15:06

Martin,
Welcome to the forum.

There is another Gothic illuminated manuscript from the requested period called the Anjou Legendarium (Latin title: Acta Sanctorum pictis imaginibus adornata, between 1320-1340), a collection of stories from the life of saints important to the House of Anjou. It was made on the occasion of the journey of Charles I of Hungary and his son Prince Andrew to Naples in Italy in 1330.

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Categ ... egendarium

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... felett.JPG

The image is entitled (Wiki Commons) as "Victory of Louis I, of Hungary againts the Ottomans in Bulgaria". The only problem that his reign started in 1342. Maybe it should read "Victory of Charles I..."
At the moment I don't know, nevertheless it is an interesting depiction of period armour.
Emil Barta
Nullo modo, amice.
Ulrich von L...n
Colonel

Re: Hungarian arms and armor 1260-1320

Postby Martin Greywolf » 28 Sep 2014 09:27

Oooh, that's a good one, and is remarkably consistent, equipment-wise, with Chronica Picta. Do you know where it was made? The wording is kind of ambiguous on whether it was made in Naples itself, or in Hungary because of journey to Naples...

Also, what kind of helmet is the guy to right of the king wearing? I don't think I've seen one of those before. Granted, we mostly reconstructed Teutonic knights (in outremer) until now, so maybe it's something russian?
Martin Greywolf
Private

Postby Ulrich von L...n » 28 Sep 2014 19:24

"...where it was made?"

It is more or less sure that "the painters of the work came from Bologna and painted in the style of the trecento". Naples isn't mentioned. Some researchers even say that we know the name of the illuminator: Master Hertul. Others disagree.

That helmet is indeed very unusual, but my main area of interest is Hungarian sabre fencing in the 19th & 20th century, so... I would place my bet on open-faced helmets depicted in the Chronicon.

Regarding Hungarian tactics and Máté Csák a bit later.
Emil Barta
Nullo modo, amice.
Ulrich von L...n
Colonel

Return to Arms & Armour, History, Militaria, Archaeology, Art