Early account of fencing instructor in England (1311)

Open to public view.

Early account of fencing instructor in England (1311)

Postby Gordon H » 18 Oct 2012 21:30

Found this very early entry of a fencing instructor in the time of Edward II (dated 1311) whilst on the the hunt for Henry VIII's fencing instructor (with Sir Richard Gresham looking a very strong candidate and was himself a Maister of Defence)
Translated to modern English, and listed in court rolls for those guilty of trespassing and "nightwalking"

Master Roger le Skirmisour (fn. 19) was attached, for that he was itdicted for keeping a fencing-school for divers men, and for enticing thither the sons of respectable persons, so as to waste and spend the property of their fathers and mothers upon bad practices: the result being that they themselves became bad men. He appeared, etc. And the jurors said that he is guilty of the trespasses aforesaid. Therefore he was committed to prison, etc.
"You is filth, you is scum, but I will make you soldiers"

-Sharpe's Regiment

Ego ridebo sicut mundus urit
Gordon H
Staff Sergeant

Re: Early account of fencing instructor in England (1311)

Postby admin » 18 Oct 2012 21:37

Thanks Gordon, this one is quite famous - linking the threads for future reference:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9632
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Motley » 19 Oct 2012 14:48

Gordon H wrote:(with Sir Richard Gresham looking a very strong candidate and was himself a Maister of Defence)

Interesting, so nobility and a Maister of Defence? I assume by writing it like that you mean the London guild? Or do you mean just listed as being a Master?

Still neat, please keep us unformed of what you find.
Dan Sellars
Context is everything
Motley
Lieutenant General

Postby Gordon H » 20 Oct 2012 16:47

Motley wrote:Interesting, so nobility and a Maister of Defence? I assume by writing it like that you mean the London guild? Or do you mean just listed as being a Master?

This appears in a London survey and is what seems to be the epitaph of his late wife.

"The Wife of a Maister of defence, seruant to the Princes of Wales, Dutches of Cornewell, and Countesse of Chester, Sir Richard Gresham Mayor 1537."

As with all research, it will take me a few months to find Henry VIII's fencing instructor, he's a good candidate so far as he had very close ties to Henry VIII, at the moment one thing going against him is he may be a little too young.
Another interesting I have so far come across the purchase of a sword in the royal accounts (1509 Kings book of payments)

"Sword for the King, 100s"
"You is filth, you is scum, but I will make you soldiers"

-Sharpe's Regiment

Ego ridebo sicut mundus urit
Gordon H
Staff Sergeant

Return to Arms & Armour, History, Militaria, Archaeology, Art