New word: Landfrýd

Open to public view.

Re: New word: Landfrýd

Postby bigdummy » 03 Oct 2011 04:41

You do get the impression sometimes that the burghers in some areas are a lot meaner than the burghers in other areas. In records from the late 14th Century burghers from Strassburg stipulated in their mobilization agreement for a fight against some 'robber knights' that they had to be back behind the town walls before nightfall! And some of the burghers in Danzig at the beginning of the 13 Years war had to be threatened with exile in order to muster for combat against the Teutonic Order (of course, that was a major step)

On the other hand the mayor of the town of Griefswald in Pomerania managed to mobilize not only his own militia but that of Stettin to go after one of the Griffin Dukes, technically his own Feudal Lord, over a seeming trifle. Duke Eric II had taken a large armed party hunting in a forest belonging to Griefswald without permission and press ganged some local peasants to beat the brush. When the burgomeister Heinrich Rubenow learned of this, he got the militia out and ready to fight in a moments notice, evidently expecting just such a provocation. The Duke got away, barely, but his entire entourage was captured. (Whether this had anything to do with Rubenow's subsequent exile and later assassination I was unable to learn, there seemed to have been a low intensity war for control of the city council around that time centered around the founding of the University in 1456, several members were exiled or killed.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_II,_Duke_of_Pomerania

BD
"In the case of an ailing social order, the absence of an adequate diagnosis... is a crucial, perhaps decisive part of the disease." -Zygmunt Bauman

"With any luck we'll be in Stalingrad by winter. " - Anyonymous German soldier
bigdummy
Field Marshal

Postby Thearos » 05 Oct 2011 21:59

For you, BD:

http://www.welt.de/kultur/history/artic ... reich.html

An article in a modern German newspaper extolling the world of the small German city in the HRE, as the most creative age, in contrast with centralized France.
Thearos
Colonel

Postby Wolfgang Ritter » 06 Oct 2011 12:31

Thearos wrote:For you, BD:

http://www.welt.de/kultur/history/artic ... reich.html

An article in a modern German newspaper extolling the world of the small German city in the HRE, as the most creative age, in contrast with centralized France.

It's not really referring to the medieval cities, but the small federal states of the HRE, mainly from the late 17th to the early 19th century. And one main focus is on the cultural diversity of the HRE in comparison to a centralised France during absolutism.
Wolfgang Ritter
Captain

Postby Thearos » 06 Oct 2011 13:16

I know. It's just about BD's and my enthusiasm for a world of small states rather than big entities-- and that this was the German landscape for a very long time.
Thearos
Colonel

Postby bigdummy » 06 Oct 2011 14:06

I've noticed many articles in the German press about the advantages of the decentralization of the HRE, it almost seems like regionalism is part of the new German nationalism, and maybe that is a good thing. You could oversell it certainly, but there is some validity in the idea that Germany, and Central Europe more generally were better off less centralized
"In the case of an ailing social order, the absence of an adequate diagnosis... is a crucial, perhaps decisive part of the disease." -Zygmunt Bauman

bigdummy
Field Marshal

Postby Thearos » 06 Oct 2011 14:22

While we're at it I just heard about this guy:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/history/staff/tomscott.html
Thearos
Colonel

Postby bigdummy » 23 Oct 2011 03:56

Funny how when you learn a new word you start to see it everywhere.

The Rostock Landfrieden in Saxony and Pomerania was apparently critical to the formation of the early predecessors of the Hanseatic league in the late 13th Century. Found a short but interesting article on it in German Wikipedia. Wonder if anyone else knows of any better articles on this?

The Rostock Landfrieden was received on 13 June 1283 in Rostock closed contract farming and Seebefriedung and to protect the customs and liberties of others. To ten years, the contracting parties undertook to refrain from violence to enforce their own legal claims. This agreement was the basis for the economic advancement and other port cities of Wismar on the Baltic.

Parties involved were the Hanseatic cities Lübeck , Rostock , Wismar , Stralsund , Greifswald , Stettin , Demmin and Anklam and the dukes of Saxony and Pomerania , the princes of Rügen , the lords of Schwerin and Dannenberg , and the knights of Rostock.

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... d%3Dimvnsb

On the bottom of the wiki there is a reference to what looks like a fantastic book that I am lusting over, by a certain Wolf-Dieter Mohrmann, Der Landfriede im Ostseeraum während des späten Mittelalters (The Public Peace in the Baltic region during the late Middle Ages), 1972, ISBN 3784740022

Man I wish I could read German beyond how to cut somebody with a sword and how to order a beer. I may need to get a copy of Rosetta Stone or something.

BD

EDIT: From what I understand the Rostock Landfried lasted ten years and then became the Wendish Circle of the Hanseatic League.

bigdummy
Field Marshal

Postby bigdummy » 07 Nov 2011 18:09

Thearos wrote:Yes, I'm a great believer in the city-state as a place of creativity, connectivity and agency-- but China as a model of a successful empire (which does not place liberty very high on the scale of things that matter) gives pause.

I hope you can download this: v. stimulating, controversial, piece on how small networked polities perform better than behemoths, using the ancient Greek example

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/transactio ... .ober.html

Hey Thearos, I was trying to download this but couldn't seem to get to it... do you think you could email it to me?

BD

EDIT: someone sent me a copy and I am reading it now with interest!

bigdummy
Field Marshal

Postby Thearos » 08 Nov 2011 13:21

Glad to hear it !
Thearos
Colonel

Postby Thearos » 17 Jul 2012 12:54

J. Bryce,The Holy Roman Empire (london 1897), 176-7:

"neverthless our sympathy must go with the cities, in whose victory we recognise the triumph of freedom and civilization"

(quoted in Parker, Sovereign City, 228)
Thearos
Colonel

Postby bigdummy » 17 Jul 2012 14:35

Hear Hear!

bigdummy
Field Marshal

Previous

Return to Arms & Armour, History, Militaria, Archaeology, Art