Medieval Islamic swords

Open to public view.

Medieval Islamic swords

Postby Alina » 25 Mar 2006 22:54

You wanted medieval Islamic swords, Matt? Oh, I don't think I've got any of those...
(Forgive the repeats, I want to consolidate all the right ones in the same thread)

Late 15th century, the kilij of Bayezid II:

Late 14th or early 15th century of Ottoman provenance:

Top one is 13th or 14th century the bottom is 14th or 15th century:

11th or 12th century AD:

13th century Abbasid, attributed to Caliph al-Musta'sim, hilt not original:

Alina
Concubine

Postby Alina » 25 Mar 2006 22:58

Oops...forgot one. I have lots more of the 14th century straight double edged swords in my book that I haven't scanned. I'll get around to it eventually. Till then, a 15th century beauty that I forgot. I absolutely love this one.

Alina
Concubine

Postby admin » 25 Mar 2006 23:13

I have a pic of that one somewhere I think - I can honestly say that it's shape is some kind of perfection of beauty in my eyes. Incredible.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Alina » 26 Mar 2006 04:03

admin wrote:I have a pic of that one somewhere I think - I can honestly say that it's shape is some kind of perfection of beauty in my eyes. Incredible.

Mine too, the sinuous shape is just gorgeous. I almost had this one be the one I wanted tinker to copy, but I settled on the sword of sultan Bayezid. If I get more money I'll have this one copied as well with a nice bone or antler grip. It'd be a fantastic cutter. Overall length 112cm blade length 96cm

According to Yucel, the hilt is all one piece of metal with bone grip plates riveted on. He says the pommel, hilt, and cross-guard are all one piece. That would mean that the sword blade was forged with a cross-guard which sounds pretty weird. I'd have to examine the original to really get what he means.
Alina
Concubine

Postby Paul » 26 Mar 2006 22:01

Beautiful stuff Alina!

I really like the straight XI-XIIth C. wootz one as well. 8)

Perhaps David Lewis Smith is going to buy something for me in Afghanistan, if he gets around to it. That would be very cool indeed.
The Dutch now have a better navy than us. - an unnamed senior officer in the Royal (UK) Navy, January 2007
Paul
Field Marshal

Return to Arms & Armour, History, Militaria, Archaeology, Art