Toby Capwells English armour book

Open to public view.

Toby Capwells English armour book

Postby Motley » 10 May 2010 16:36

I am not sure if you will have seen this http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB2/ ... 65#1692265

I guess it may be of interest to a few people here so I am cross posting it.

Toby Capwell wrote:Dear Members,

Some of you might be aware that for some time I have been working on a book about 15th-century armour, in England in particular. An extension of my PhD (completed in 2004), this very large book (about 580-700 pages, 75,000 words, 1000+ images) tells the story of the development of armour and its design in England during the 1400s.

I should say at this point that the most important point is that English armour was different. It was not just Italian armour with some fluting added. It seems to have been a totally different style, one that has very distinct lines of development all its own. It is a style that does not survive in any actual pieces of armour. But it did exist.

The primary source of visual evidence is of course the 230 funerary effigies of men in armour that survive in England and Wales. Church armour, brasses, MSS, drawings, sculpture, painting etc serve as additional references.

I've been working steadily on getting this thing published since 2004, and as you can imagine it hasn't been easy to convince publishers that they should take the project on. Well, not in the lavishly illustrated and exhaustive way I insist it must be done.

BUT- I now have a major US/UK publisher interested in producing the work. Their idea is to produce a lavish collector's edition by pre-subscription (the old-fashioned, Victorian way of doing things!), limited probably to 500 copies or less. This would be a cased hardbound work, gilded pages, high-grade paper, etc. Each copy would be hand-numbered and signed by me, and a complete list of the subscribers would be included in the text.

The cost would be 100-125 GBP, which is not cheap, but it can't really see the light of day any other way. I'll do my very best to make it worth it!

Depending on reception, (it hasn't been said but I suspect it might be possible) the publisher might then consider releasing a cheaper, paperback, general retail version, but that's a pipe-dream within a pipe-dream at the moment.

So, I have a meeting with the publisher later this week, and I am trying to gather as many names as I can, not as any sort of formal commitment, but rather just to get an idea of whether this subscription idea is even feasible.

If it went ahead, the publisher would run the subscription process officially, with online ordering options, letters of acknowledgement, etc. If this goes ahead, I hope subscription might open in July or August, with the finished work appearing in the first half of 2011.

In conclusion- if this is something that might interest you, if you might consider subscribing, were it to happen, please PM me! I'll put you on my 'potential subscribers' list, and the numbers will help me make my case. That way I can also keep everyone better informed.

Its taken a long time to get this thing out, but if there is enough interest, this plan might just work, and at this point its the only realistic chance.

Yours sincerely,

Toby
London, UK
Dan Sellars
Context is everything
Motley
Lieutenant General

Re: Toby Capwells English armour book

Postby tobias capwell » 11 May 2010 12:43

Thanks for the cross-post Dan!

I should also mention that you can PM me here as well as at the other places.

Best,

Toby
tobias capwell
Private

Postby Harry » 11 May 2010 14:48

because I am not at the other forum, I am still impressed by your lecture at the arms and armoury conference in vienna, could you tell me where to buy this book?

if you just look how many people would buy it... set me on the list :)

best regards
harry
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 2/2/4/4)

"Take away all his weapons and than kick him in the ass" - Free Translation from the Viennese Gladiatoria
Harry
Colonel

Postby tobias capwell » 11 May 2010 14:50

Hi Harry,

At the moment, I am just trying to get an idea of numbers, so that I can convince the publisher that this is a good idea... So you are on the list!

When it becomes a reality, there will be a subscription process- a website to visit to order and so forth. I'm hoping subscriptions might open as early as August... but we have to see if they go for it.

Best,

Toby
tobias capwell
Private

Postby admin » 11 May 2010 15:49

PM'd!
Best of luck with this, I'd love to have a copy.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby tobias capwell » 11 May 2010 16:03

Matt- you got it. Adding you to the list right now...
tobias capwell
Private

Postby Harry » 11 May 2010 17:00

tobias capwell wrote:Hi Harry,

At the moment, I am just trying to get an idea of numbers, so that I can convince the publisher that this is a good idea... So you are on the list!

When it becomes a reality, there will be a subscription process- a website to visit to order and so forth. I'm hoping subscriptions might open as early as August... but we have to see if they go for it.

Best,
Toby

so good luck then toby... I hope for all of us that the book will be a success
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 2/2/4/4)

"Take away all his weapons and than kick him in the ass" - Free Translation from the Viennese Gladiatoria
Harry
Colonel

Postby Monster Zero » 11 May 2010 18:06

Count me in too Please.
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 1/4/5/?)
Mostly Harmless...
Monster Zero
Field Marshal

Postby sharkboy » 11 May 2010 18:51

i would love to have one !
looking forward to the subscribtion-list :)
<ENZI> The one -the only - the true PHM ;)

pain is just a state of mind!
beside
just another peacefull medicated moment keeps me from killing u
sharkboy
Recruit in training

Postby scholajo » 11 May 2010 22:43

PM'd :D
"I'm not arguing with you, because I'm right."
scholajo
General

Postby Tweedledee » 13 May 2010 23:52

PM sent.
Sounds brilliant.

Gavin
Tweedledee
Sergeant

Postby Dierk Hagedorn » 14 May 2010 08:29

Dear Toby,

that sounds truly intriguing. I'll definitely need one.

(What do I have to do in order to persuade you to do the same with German armour?)

PM will be on its way shortly.

Best regards
Dierk
Dierk Hagedorn
Sergeant

Postby admin » 13 Sep 2010 12:56

Hi Toby, is there any update on this yet?
Cheers.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Sean M » 12 Apr 2015 12:41

Dr. Capwell is now accepting pre-orders for volume 1 (Armour of the English Knight 1400-1450) for 40 GBP. The shipping overseas is on the order of 16 GPB with no bulk discount, so buyers outside the UK may want to wait and order it through conventional channels.

There are few details about the book through the website, but not many armour books are based on a dissertation or written by a museum curator who jousts.
how could anyone resist becoming
part of what I thought you were?
Sean M
2nd Lieutenant

Return to Arms & Armour, History, Militaria, Archaeology, Art