Who do you buy wasters from?

Open to public view.

Who do you buy wasters from?

Postby admin » 15 Mar 2006 16:27

I'm just wondering where the other Europeans, mainly, get their wasters from. Mine are all Purplehearts, but we've also had wasters in the group from Freedom Enterprises here in the UK, as well as various Polish-made ones.

To be honest the only ones that have really cut the mustard long-term are the Purplehearts (and other US makes).. But it would be REALLY good if we could find a maker of solid and long-lasting wasters in Europe.

Matt
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Re: Who do you buy wasters from?

Postby Anders Linnard » 15 Mar 2006 16:42

admin wrote:I'm just wondering where the other Europeans, mainly, get their wasters from. Mine are all Purplehearts, but we've also had wasters in the group from Freedom Enterprises here in the UK, as well as various Polish-made ones.

To be honest the only ones that have really cut the mustard long-term are the Purplehearts (and other US makes).. But it would be REALLY good if we could find a maker of solid and long-lasting wasters in Europe.

Matt

There's a guy in GHFS that makes them for us.

/Anders
Anders Linnard
General

Postby admin » 15 Mar 2006 16:48

Cool - what wood does he use? Would he sell them?

Matt
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Anders Linnard » 15 Mar 2006 16:51

admin wrote:Cool - what wood does he use? Would he sell them?

Matt

Mainly ash and oak I think. We sometimes sell surplus, but it's rare. I don't think he'd want to start anything on a grand scale, but sometimes he feels like making a couple. Maybe he's in a good mood. They cost about 30-40 Euro.
Anders Linnard
General

Postby Fab » 16 Mar 2006 00:50

As some of you know, we'll be having our own, purpleheart-roughly-based, French (or even : Burgundian) made longsword wasters shortly, with the posibility to make some more at a later date. I'll post a pic when we get them. And we hope to get them for quite cheap. Cut me own throat.

Though I still make the one handed sword and messer wasters. I'm quite happy with the latest design, as it solved the problem of the two halves of the cross falling apart, and has a cross designed for (limited but slightly better) enemy blade contol. The new pommels look nicer too.

Old Fab-made wasters were ash (for the 'blade') and oak (cross and pommel), but latest types are ash for 'blade' and cross, and beech for the pommel.

As they are all hand-made, I can take custom orders ;); I usualy charge 30 euros for a one-handed sword/messer (supplied unointed).

When 'fresh' (ie no linseed oil applied) they weigh between 340 and 380 grams - they obviously get heavier with a good soak in linseed oil. I have a soak tank for one-handed wasters, and usually leave them there for at least 48 hours (after slightly heating the oil for better penetration in the wood grain), though I don't have much time to do that at the moment - maybe next summer.

I try to get a PoB roughly 6" to 8" before the cross, as its rather forward position compensates for the lighness of the weapon. Still, all my latest type wasters show distal taper and a strong forte. I also try to get oval section handles that would match the shape and feel (and dimensions) of originals.

I used to make dagger wasters (triangular section - ie with a discernable edge), and still can make some if asked gently.

Fab
Fab
Field Marshal

Return to General Historical Martial Arts