We're getting bigger!

Open to public view.

We're getting bigger!

Postby Anders Linnard » 15 Mar 2006 12:18

Ok, so I saw you have five different chapters and that Einar is actually training nowadays ;)

If anyone has visited our website at shfs.se lately they might have noticed that we have 6 different groups in our very informal umbrella organisation (actually we only have the name in common, that's it). It means that our groups have somewhere in between 80 and 100 members. GHFS had 42 members last year which is a new record. I get a feeling we are growing quite fast as a community. A year ago I made an approximation of between 150-200 practitioners in Sweden. My guess is that during 2006 that figure will increase quite a lot and looking at your website I get the feeling that your'e in the same position.

So to conclude this completely unnecessary and bragging post: Isn't that cool?

/A
Anders Linnard
General

Postby admin » 15 Mar 2006 12:42

Yes very cool - WMA is definitely growing steadily. But I wonder about people's stats - I personally only really count regular members, ie. those that train every week or most weeks. We're still quite a small group (London Schola that is) - a normal class has about 15-20 people, and it's been like that for a while now. Sometimes it is lower, sometimes it is a little higher. The most we've ever had in a regular class was about 28 I think (and the hall wasn't big enough!).

Although there are quite a lot of groups in the UK, most of them are not very big, by general martial arts or modern fencing standards. We have to work on this of course, and bring more people into the fold - and more importantly, KEEP them coming.
In my experience one of the hardest things in martial arts is not attracting people, but keeping them coming regularly.

Matt
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby scholadays » 15 Mar 2006 12:48

Indeed it is easy to attract folk to our discipline because folk seem to like tales of swords, fighting, daring do, etc and soforth.

Retaining folk is a different matter altogether, for folk need some sort of progression, some success, a reason for contributing.

Thus I reckon all the excitement over Schola's little internal tournament-ette.
scholadays
Field Marshal

Postby admin » 15 Mar 2006 13:00

Yes, much though some WMA people don't like competitions, and I agree they should not become THE raison d'etre, they are a bloody good way of motivating people to train more and giving them short-term goals to aim at.
Like many other people, I personally would get a bit fed up with training if I didn't spar and get into the occasional competition. I guess that's how sport evolved :).

Matt
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Fab » 15 Mar 2006 13:04

well I guess that's how it laways have been - like in peace time, knights invented the tournament :)

It is part of the Y chromosome I think.
Fab
Field Marshal

Postby Anders Linnard » 15 Mar 2006 13:08

Ah yes, we do not have 40 regular practitioners, but we do have an increasing number of people training. But it varies during the year. But out of 40 practitioners we get to keep more than if we only had 30 and since it is almost impossible to keep track of how many train each session and calculating an average it is best to just count paying members.

Keeping people is really hard. We have a too great loss of people that have trained more than a year. I don't mind people leaving after a training session or two, but it's really bad when we can't keep the people that are actually starting to get somewhere.

Edit: what I ment to say was that an average isn't a very good way of telling how many people train in a group, after all you can have 40 members all active and still only 20 people on an average sessioon. We practise 3 -4 times a week but only very few of us come to practise every time.
/Anders
Anders Linnard
General

Postby Abomination » 15 Mar 2006 14:12

admin wrote:Yes, much though some WMA people don't like competitions, and I agree they should not become THE raison d'etre, they are a bloody good way of motivating people to train more and giving them short-term goals to aim at.
Like many other people, I personally would get a bit fed up with training if I didn't spar and get into the occasional competition. I guess that's how sport evolved :).

Matt

For me competition is another part of the great triangulation. I spar in a completely different manner to the way I compete. In sparring I will be trying stuff out, new things I've learned etc. When I compete I'm in it to win & beat some poor bastard to a pulp*. It's the time to use all that training & see where it's got you & what you can learn from it. I'm alot more direct & agressive & my technique is limited to the stuff I know I can pull off.

*I hope they're trying to do the same & I'll shake their hand & maybe even buy 'em a beer afterwards.
The Abomination is dead. Long live the Abomination.

http://www.londonswordanddaggerclub.co.uk/
Abomination
Field Marshal

Re: We're getting bigger!

Postby Corporal Carrot » 15 Mar 2006 14:38

Anders Linnard wrote:Ok, so I saw you have five different chapters and that Einar is actually training nowadays ;)
/A

Uhm, well... about that... No, I'm not.

So its still going to be utterly embarrassing for you when I soundly beat you at longsword sparring in Dijon. Again.
Einar
Corporal Carrot
Field Marshal

Re: We're getting bigger!

Postby Anders Linnard » 15 Mar 2006 14:44

Einar Drønnesund wrote:
Anders Linnard wrote:Ok, so I saw you have five different chapters and that Einar is actually training nowadays ;)
/A

Uhm, well... about that... No, I'm not.

So its still going to be utterly embarrassing for you when I soundly beat you at longsword sparring in Dijon. Again.

That would truly be embarrasing yes, but in your research you seem to be mixing up pillows and longswords.
Anders Linnard
General

Return to General Historical Martial Arts