The Book of the buckler

Open to public view.

The Book of the buckler

Postby Herbert » 21 Jan 2016 08:51

It is with joy that, after years of research, I can announce my new book about the buckler.

Here is the list of contents:

Definition of a buckler   
History of the buckler   
Typology of the buckler   
Bucklers and their usage
The construction of bucklers
Carrying the buckler
Catalogue of original bucklers
Exkurs Benennung des Bucklers im deutschen Sprachraum

The book has 268 pages and is available from bookstores, amazon and of course from Wyvern Media, the publisher. (Although Amazon might be a bit slow with updating the data…its a strange place).

I hope I could contribute a bit to our fascinating field of study.

Thank you a lot and best wishes

Herbert
Attachments
Title Book of the Buckler_klein.jpg
Title Book of the Buckler_klein.jpg (105.94 KiB) Viewed 15015 times
Herbert
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: The Book of the buckler

Postby admin » 21 Jan 2016 09:45

Congrats! I'm looking forward to getting this.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Stuart Peers » 21 Jan 2016 16:11

Excellent! Copy ordered :D
Bon Accord Historical Fencers
"He (Liechtenauer) also means that you should not step straight in with the blows, but from the side at an angle so that you come in from the side where you can reach him easier than from the front." - Doebringer
Stuart Peers
Private

Postby David Kite » 22 Jan 2016 15:00

For any Americans here, it doesn't seem to be currently available through amazon.com. I had to order mine through amazon.co.uk.

I look forward to reading this.
David Kite
ARMA
David Kite
Sergeant

Postby Herbert » 22 Jan 2016 16:41

David Kite wrote:For any Americans here, it doesn't seem to be currently available through amazon.com. I had to order mine through amazon.co.uk.

I look forward to reading this.
David Kite
ARMA

We know of this strange problem and we are working on it…Amazon is strange.

Thanks for your efforts and I hope you enjoy the book.

Herbert
Herbert
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Megalophias » 22 Jan 2016 17:50

Congratulations!

Another one to put on the list.
Jon Pellett

How do you know but ev'ry Bird that cuts the airy way,
Is an immense world of delight, clos'd by your senses five?
Megalophias
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Cosmoline » 22 Jan 2016 21:39

Were you able to get weights and dimensions of historical pieces for this?
Cosmoline
Corporal

Postby Herbert » 23 Jan 2016 07:47

Cosmoline wrote:Were you able to get weights and dimensions of historical pieces for this?

Yes - dozens. The catalog of the originals is full of different measurements, weights and detailed pictures. Usually I measured also thickness, height, diameter of the boss etc.
Herbert
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ChrisBear » 01 Feb 2016 11:58

As I've made a couple of leather bucklers now, and planning on making some more I imagine this will be very useful. I will get myself a copy.
Bear

Still trying to learn which end of the sword is which
ChrisBear
Private

Postby the underground man » 02 Feb 2016 20:07

Seems like a lot of interesting material in there. Look forward to checking the book out when I can!
the underground man
Private

Postby Herbert » 02 Feb 2016 20:50

ChrisBear wrote:As I've made a couple of leather bucklers now, and planning on making some more I imagine this will be very useful. I will get myself a copy.

Do you sell the bucklers? Is there a way to get one?
Herbert
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby ChrisBear » 05 Feb 2016 14:38

PM Sent, but for everyone else, yes and no is the answer. I can make a sell a custom one at the moment but I'm looking into how to produce them.
Bear

Still trying to learn which end of the sword is which
ChrisBear
Private

Postby David Kite » 09 Feb 2016 15:27

This is a very interesting book. It has a lot of very useful information. I am amazed that metal bucklers were so thin, and now I wish I'd waited to order my buckler, because now I'm afraid it will be too thick! :mrgreen:

I find your proposed typology nicely simple, as well. The chapters on construction and carrying were particularly enlightening. The photographs were nice eye candy, and I appreciate your attention to the types and varieties of grips.

I hope you will accept one point of constructive criticism, which is of course fairly minor. I would have preferred a more detailed citation style in your bibliography and footnotes.

Nicely done. :D
David Kite
ARMA
David Kite
Sergeant

Postby Herbert » 09 Feb 2016 20:38

David Kite wrote:I hope you will accept one point of constructive criticism, which is of course fairly minor. I would have preferred a more detailed citation style in your bibliography and footnotes.

Thank you very much for your kind words. I am grateful for your feedback!

Would you please be so kind and elaborate a bit what you mean by a more detailed citation style in the footnotes? What are you missing? What would you like to have included?

Actually I am grateful for criticism - it's the best way to improve!

Thank you very much!

Herbert
Herbert
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby David Kite » 09 Feb 2016 23:35

Well, on closer inspection of the bibliography, it seems that there is sufficient information to allow readers to find the sources with some work. However, it could have been made easier, and citations are there to help make things easy to find. (Feel free to dismiss this critique as the rambling of an anal retentive person)

For example, a standardized citation style would have been beneficial, such as Chicago, APA, MLA citation styles or some other convention. When I see bibliographies in other works, whether scholarly or not, it is generally clear what type of material a source is by the way it is cited. For example, if something is a book, a journal article, or whatever. This is not immediately apparent in your book. Also, it is a general convention to alphabetize the bibliography, usually by the last name of the author, and to put the author's last name first. For example: Schmidt, Herbert. The Book of the Buckler. United Kingdom: Wyvern Media, Ltd., 2015.

Also, some sources, such as "The Bridport Muster Roll of 1457" and "Artistic Expression and Material Culture in Celtic Gallaecia" are either a chapter of a book or an article in a journal. As such, page numbers would have been helpful. "The Journal of Interdiscipinary Celtic Studies" also appears to be an online journal, but you don't provide a url, as you do with some other sources.

On page 13, you cite in the footnote, "Schmidt, 2013." According to the bibliography, you don't have any books published in 2013. Your chapter in "Das Schwert -- Symbol in Waffe" lacks a date in the bibliography, but it seems to be the closest in date, although OCLC lists its publication date in 2014. Based on context, I would assume you are citing your sword and buckler book, which seems to have been printed in 2008 originally.

Things like that are what I had noticed, and those are only examples.
David Kite
ARMA
David Kite
Sergeant

Postby Herbert » 10 Feb 2016 07:33

You are right with what you say. Two things were a mistake (the date on my book and the lack of alphabetical ordering of the bibliography). I won't go into detail why this happened…it happened.

With the other citations I was following certain rules but didn't distinguish between the source material - that is right. However, as you said, it is quite possible to find the source with a bit of time.
Maybe it is too much work for some to look for the source. I'm sorry for not having it made easier.

If that is your main point of criticism then I am actually quite glad…I was fearing worse.

Thank you very much for the time you have taken in showing me the errors.

Best wishes

Herbert
Herbert
Lieutenant Colonel

Return to General Historical Martial Arts