Exploring the Spadroon

Open to public view.

Exploring the Spadroon

Postby Cosmoline » 26 Aug 2015 21:02

I've been doing regular HEMA practice for about two and a half years now. Mostly in I.33 and earlier German longsword with the local groups. But my main interest as a history major was in 18th century warfare, and for some reason I find myself drawn to the old spadroon.

So I've been putting some sources together to build up a background. I have some good smallsword videos from Acosta-Martinez and some primary source material from Amazon reprints. There are a few older threads on the topic around the fora, but I'm wondering if there's anything new and exciting on the spadroon front I should get linked up to.
Cosmoline
Corporal

Re: Exploring the Spadroon

Postby JRM » 27 Aug 2015 03:29

Lonnergan provides some interesting advice on it. Basically the advantage of the spadroon according to him is not really it's cutting or thrusting ability power, but the ability to be able to use Smallsword and Backsword/Broadsword techniques. So according to him you would learn Smallsword, Broadsword and then spadroon In that order. The other english/scottish fencing books basically state the same thing, that the spadroon is the master of all weapons because someone familiar with broadsword and smallsword armed with the spadroon has more tools and techniques compared to someone armed either the broadsword or smallsword.Its kind of like the MMA of English/Scottish/ French 18th C Fencing. All that to say a good approach to learning would be to study broadsword sources and smallsword sources. If you need help accessing ressources feel free to contact the Cateran Society for broadsword and Backsword material. For smallsword stuff, the Martinez DVD is good, as are primary source material.
JRM
Private

Postby JRM » 27 Aug 2015 03:36

Whearabouts are you located?
JRM
Private

Postby Cosmoline » 27 Aug 2015 03:50

Thanks! I'm up in Alaska. We did have a pretty active Highland broadsword group some years ago, but it's half retired and the other half is still looking for space to get the basic longsword course rolling again.
Cosmoline
Corporal

Postby Thearos » 27 Aug 2015 03:55

Of course, Sir William Hope, on the shearing sword-- as studied by the incomparable Linacre School of Defence !
Thearos
Colonel

Postby JRM » 27 Aug 2015 04:12

Yes! David Teague and Matt used to be really active up in your neck of the woods. They would be a great place to start. If they aren't practicing anymore and you need videos for reference or online instruction, contact the Cateran Society. We do lots of broadsword material from the same sources that taught spadroon and have smallsword and spadroon material in the works! There's also no cost involved to join the online apprenticeship program, so it's a great place to learn.
JRM
Private

Postby JRM » 27 Aug 2015 04:17

Sir William hope is also great. It's also made up of smallsword techniques influenced heavily by backsword play, but quite a bit simplified. If you wanted a real grasp on the more common methods of french smallsword and it's marriage with English and Scottish broadsword, I'd definitely recommend trying both. It will give you a lot of insight on spadroon and Hopes method will be... short and easy.
JRM
Private

Postby Cosmoline » 27 Aug 2015 09:47

JRM wrote:Yes! David Teague and Matt used to be really active up in your neck of the woods. They would be a great place to start. If they aren't practicing anymore and you need videos for reference or online instruction, contact the Cateran Society. We do lots of broadsword material from the same sources that taught spadroon and have smallsword and spadroon material in the works! There's also no cost involved to join the online apprenticeship program, so it's a great place to learn.

Thanks! I was lucky enough to get about a year and a half under Dave in longsword before he threw in the sword. He's retired to his vast collection of AK's. Matt has taken over but our little group is currently looking for a place with more ceiling space that can be used year round. We have a nice space for the I.33 group, but only as long as nobody goes to 4th Ward. We call it the forbidden ward, and must not speak of it. We'll have to get longsword going again and get a critical mass before highland broadsword is a potential offering.
Cosmoline
Corporal

Postby knirirr » 27 Aug 2015 09:50

Thearos wrote:Of course, Sir William Hope, on the shearing sword-- as studied by the incomparable Linacre School of Defence !

It's an awesome system indeed, but then I would say that. ;-)

Here's the original text:'

http://linacreschoolofdefence.org/Libra ... NewMethod/

There's a link there to this book as well:

http://www.wyvernmedia.co.uk/shop#!/A-N ... ry=2613218

I'm trying to get it out as an ebook, but I have no idea how long that will take.
"FOR, to my certain knowledge I can affirm, that no People in the World, have a swifter Hand in Thrusting, nor any, a more loose or uncertain Parade, than the French."
knirirr
Gentleman

Postby Max C. » 27 Aug 2015 15:54

ValvilleMs manual is also quite applicable to the Spadroon (in fact to any sword that can effectively cut and thrust).

http://hemamisfits.com/2015/08/02/treat ... ille-1817/
Maxime Chouinard

Antrim Bata- Traditional Irish stick fighting
http://www.irishstick.com
I don't do longsword - A blog for all HEMA misfits
http://www.hemamisfits.wordpress.com
Max C.
2nd Lieutenant

Postby JRM » 27 Aug 2015 17:47

Nice max, I didn't realize you had translated that manual to english. I read it in french a couple months ago when we became aware of the existence of the highlander illustration. I definitely want to try practicing from this manual in the future.
JRM
Private

Postby Cosmoline » 28 Aug 2015 17:50

Great stuff! As far as extant HEMA groups, it sounds like I can't go too far wrong looking into both smallsword and broadsword or saber.
Cosmoline
Corporal

Postby MEversbergII » 28 Aug 2015 20:22

Cosmoline wrote:Great stuff! As far as extant HEMA groups, it sounds like I can't go too far wrong looking into both smallsword and broadsword or saber.

Smallsword's a fine weapon! Full on protection (and weapons) are much cheaper than just about anything else.

M.
When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.

Best Advice on the Whole Site
MEversbergII
Major

Postby knirirr » 28 Aug 2015 20:32

MEversbergII wrote:
Smallsword's a fine weapon! Full on protection (and weapons) are much cheaper than just about anything else.

M.

Funnily enough that was one of the reasons why I decided to concentrate on that weapon back in the late 1990s; it was very easy to get adequate training weapons and good protective equipment for a reasonable price.
One of the reasons I don't do much in the way of steel sabre at the moment is that the kit is relatively expensive and I can't afford enough from the club funds for those students who won't want to buy their own.
"FOR, to my certain knowledge I can affirm, that no People in the World, have a swifter Hand in Thrusting, nor any, a more loose or uncertain Parade, than the French."
knirirr
Gentleman

Postby Cosmoline » 28 Aug 2015 22:44

On a related note, how useful do you think modern sports fencing is to someone with a HEMA background who wants to get more into 18th century stuff? Up here our options are limited but there's one active sport fencing school.
Cosmoline
Corporal

Postby knirirr » 28 Aug 2015 22:47

Cosmoline wrote:On a related note, how useful do you think modern sports fencing is to someone with a HEMA background who wants to get more into 18th century stuff? Up here our options are limited but there's one active sport fencing school.

If you can get some good steam foil instruction then it would be very useful.
knirirr
Gentleman

Return to General Historical Martial Arts