Sieniawski Fencing

Open to public view.

Sieniawski Fencing

Postby Mearcstapa » 20 Jul 2015 22:44

As I couldn't find a centralised Polish Sabre thread to whack this into (please correct me if I'm wrong), I've shoved it in here instead.

What do we know about these chaps? Their YouTube output is excellent, and they have recently started doing two-minute shorts looking at particular facets of what they call the 'cross-cutting art'. with English subtitles.

What's the community's view on their technique? They seem to know what they're about. Do they ever venture West? I know Daria Izdebska of AHA had some contact with them, but don't know if anything came of it.

Finally, does anyone know where (or rather, who) they get their sabres from?
Mearcstapa
Staff Sergeant

Re: Sieniawski Fencing

Postby KeithFarrell » 21 Jul 2015 11:47

They do make some tremendous video clips, and they have undeniable skill with swords!

Last I heard, the Polish community is somewhat fragmented in terms of what they believe Polish sabre should look like, with many people using Hutton as their preferred frog DNA, rather than looking at sources such as Meyer or other dussack / rapier / early sabre texts. However, I think that outside Poland, Sieniawski Fencing have a very good reputation!

They have attended the International Sabre Symposium, and perhaps one or two other HEMAC style events. I believe they run quite a few seminars each year. They seem to be increasingly willing to share their research and thoughts with the HEMA community (they put an article on HROARR, for example), and I for one really appreciate seeing their various thoughts and practices whenever they put up new videos or articles.

The question I cannot answer is where they get their sabres. I have no idea about that, sorry!
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell.net: website
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Sieniawski Fencing

Postby Mearcstapa » 21 Jul 2015 18:44

Thanks Keith - any scraps of information are much appreciated!
Mearcstapa
Staff Sergeant

Return to General Historical Martial Arts