Pavel Marek Gauntlets, or Gauntlets in General?

Open to public view.

Pavel Marek Gauntlets, or Gauntlets in General?

Postby Isidore2daMax » 01 Jul 2015 06:20

Hi there folks,

Had a few too many hits on the hand with only gloves on to hold off any longer on getting some steel gauntlets. K+K Brothers and Fabri Armorum were potential makers but I found Pavel Marek's website and his gauntlets look really great (if not priced too good to be true -_-). I have been given a quote of about 260EUR for a pair of G24 gauntlets http://www.armorymarek.com/gauntlets (near the bottom) and have just now acquired the funds after about a month, and am planning to pay through Western Union. Unfortunately, he has not responded to the past two emails I have sent, and I'm getting a little anxious and really want some hand protection. Currently waiting to hear back and pay him, but, in the mean time...

My questions for you all are: do any of you have experience with Pavel Marek's arms or armor? For a long time I thought Pavel Marek and Pavel Moc were the same, which is not true at all, and I am left a little doubtful now. If anyone would denounce Pavel Marek's wares, would you recommend somewhere were I in the US can buy a pair of steel gauntlets in the $300 range? I understand this is the lower end of pricing for a pair of gauntlets but frankly I am not sparring every day, more like twice a week or so. Although it would be reasonable to do so, I am not willing to save money and buy leather hoof gauntlets, I am set on steel.

Sorry if I seem a little stubborn. I am just hoping someone who has more experience than me (should be at least 90% of you :P) might advise me on Pavel Marek or on other sources for HEMA-quality steel gauntlets.

Thanks for your time everyone,

- Ellery von Dassow
Isidore2daMax
Recruit in training

Re: Pavel Marek Gauntlets, or Gauntlets in General?

Postby Sean M » 04 Jul 2015 11:18

I think that you will have a very hard time finding respectable gloves of plate in your price range. Two things you might want to consider are that anyone selling good gauntlets cheap is probably on a road to bankruptcy, and that a broken hand can easily cost much more than a few hundred dollars in medical costs and lost work.
how could anyone resist becoming
part of what I thought you were?
Sean M
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Luka » 05 Jul 2015 16:09

It's nothing strange to find good quality gauntlets in the $300 range or even less in countries of eastern Europe. Polish, Czech and Magyar makers make good armour for bohurt fighting with reasonable prices.
Luka
Corporal

Postby Sean M » 05 Jul 2015 18:24

Luka wrote:It's nothing strange to find good quality gauntlets in the $300 range or even less in countries of eastern Europe. Polish, Czech and Magyar makers make good armour for bohurt fighting with reasonable prices.

I guess that depends on what you are looking for in the gauntlets. Functional sports gear tends to be cheaper than serious reproductions, and may be better for modern sparring. I have heard that the Czech and Polish and Ukranian armourers are poor and insecure too, even though their cost of living is lower.

I have been talking to armourers in Europe, and I do not think that I could get what I seek for that little money without taking advantage of someone who is a better armourer than businessman. But I think that my goals are a bit different than Isidore2DaMax's.
how could anyone resist becoming
part of what I thought you were?
Sean M
2nd Lieutenant

Postby tea » 05 Jul 2015 22:42

Bohurt gauntlets are very protective, and can be quite cheap - but if you want something you can fence dextrously in, you'll have to pay more even from Eastern Europe.
Scholar, Cambridge HEMA
tea
Corporal

Return to General Historical Martial Arts