Anyone in the Newbury (Berkshire) area?

Open to public view.

Anyone in the Newbury (Berkshire) area?

Postby Spatchcock » 05 Jun 2015 15:29

Hi all

Just discovered HEMA via a book blog, got all excited....and can't find a local club :cry:
This is mostly my fault as have little time to travel due to work commitments so have been reading articles, watching youtube (which led me here, thanks Matt!) buying books, dvd's and a Rawlings synthetic patent ceiling scratcher (No doubt my good lady is going to love me :roll: )

Anyhow, if anyone is in the Newbury area and wants to beat an ageing git around while he works out which end of a sword is which drop me a pm. I may even buy them a beer afterwards :D

Cheers!
Spatchcock
Cadet

Re: Anyone in the Newbury (Berkshire) area?

Postby admin » 08 Jun 2015 11:18

School of the Sword have a weekly class in Reading, if that's of any use.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby admin » 08 Jun 2015 11:21

Just pulled a map up, because I realised I've only ever driven past Newbury on the motorway and didn't really know where it is!
So you have School of the Sword in Reading, Linacre School of Defence in Oxford, Messenger's Longsword School in Swindon and the Basingstoke Bartitsu Irregulars in... Basingstoke. There is also another branch of School of the Sword in Godalming, English Martial Arts Academy in Guildford and one of my branches of Schola Gladiatoria in Woking. Hopefully that gives you some options :)
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Spatchcock » 08 Jun 2015 12:19

Thanks, I did find the map and those clubs - should have said my only spare time is in the mornings so will see if anyone does an early class.

Thanks again!
Spatchcock
Cadet

Postby Mearcstapa » 20 Jul 2015 22:33

There's also the Wessex School of Arms in Marlborough (Wednesdays), and Avebury (Fridays) for more advanced students.

No need to venture into Amazingstoke if you don't want to...
Mearcstapa
Staff Sergeant

Return to General Historical Martial Arts