Gladiatoria New Haven, Connecticut: A New Book

Open to public view.

Gladiatoria New Haven, Connecticut: A New Book

Postby Dierk Hagedorn » 18 Mar 2015 19:43

Dear friends of the Historical Martial Arts,

I am more than happy that finally, after more than five years, the project I worked on together with Bart Walczak has finally reached a happy ending.

It is an edition of the Gladiatoria manuscript from New Haven, Connecticut, that once was believed to be irretrievably lost during World War II. Luckily, it has resurfaced, and now it’s here for everybody to own. Our book has become quite a vast volume, 392 pages, with articles by Bart Walczak, Dr Daniel Jaquet and yours truly; with forewords by Dr Hans-Peter Hils and Prof Sydney Anglo.

The old German fight book (or fechtbuch) stems from the first half of the 15th century and it describes by word and image armoured combat techniques in full plate harness. This is a publication that is not only valuable to art historians but also to all those arms and armour aficionados who can make many a discovery—and of course to all my fellow historical fencers.

The articles are about fechtbücher in general, about the Gladiatoria group in particular; about arms and armour of the mid-15th century and how to fight in it; and lastly about the complex history of the manuscript.

The volume is entirely bilingual, both English and German.

Apart from the articles, the main part is of course about the manuscript itself, with full colour reproductions of all 86 pages and an exact transcription plus translations into English and German. Don’t hesitate to visit my publisher’s website.
My publishers deliver worldwide, only outside of Germany you’ll have to pay in advance via either PayPal or credit card.
The price is € 44.80. You may want to make use of your favourite currency converter.

Apart from that, the good people at Freelance Academy Press will distribute this volume too. So depending on where you live, you may very well order with them.

Ladies and gentlemen, I am still excited to hold this very heavy book in my hands; and I sincerely do hope that you will enjoy it as much as I do. I believe five years of work have resulted in a very fine volume I am sure you will hold dear.

Nw merkch das stuck.

Yours,
Dierk

P.S. Here’s a little excerpt, so you better know what to expect.
Dierk Hagedorn
Sergeant

Re: Gladiatoria New Haven, Connecticut: A New Book

Postby admin » 19 Mar 2015 12:03

Congratulations Dierk! That must have been A LOT of work.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Dierk Hagedorn » 19 Mar 2015 12:20

Thanks, Matt,

as a matter of fact, it was. Occasionally I doubted very much whether this little project would see the day of light eventually. All the more happy I am now. And I feel so tremendously grateful that the two famous scholars Hils and Anglo graced the book with their little contribution. It's been exactly two weeks now that it's out, and still I feel happy, but most of all relieved. Five and a half years. You just have it constantly on your mind.

Sigh...
Dierk Hagedorn
Sergeant

Postby Inthe Meantime » 21 Mar 2015 13:50

Hi Dierk. Thanks for bringing some copies to Real Fighting Stuff as I asked on FB. My friend Neil picked up one for me and himself. Have to say it is one of the nicest books I have ever owned. Paper and print quality is fabulous. I have only read through the articles so far and, as I knew literally nothing of the Gladatoria prior to opening the book,I found myself fascinated by the history of the manuscript and its recovery. The pictures are beautiful and the layout is superb. I really like the way you have placed the transcriptions and translations. I can wait to study this further and try out some interpretations.
I would go so far as to say that this book is an exemplar of how such manuscripts should be produced for a modern audience.
Mark Jolliff
Pugnavimus ensibus
Haud post longum tempus
Inthe Meantime
Private

Postby David Kite » 21 Mar 2015 14:27

Awesome! But how long before Freelance begins offering it, do you know? It isn't on their site yet.

thanks
David Kite
David Kite
Sergeant

Postby Dierk Hagedorn » 21 Mar 2015 14:28

Dear Mark,

I am happy that I had enough copies with me and that the transfer of books was satisfactory.

Thank you for your kind words; they truly make me happy and mean a lot to me. I still can hardly believe how much work went into this book—but when I hear comments like yours, I know it was worth the effort. I’m particularly grateful for Bart’s cooperation who it was a joy to work with.
It may sound completely vain; but I still like the book myself and open it gladly.
May it delight you for a long time.

But I am curious: If you were mostly unaware of the beauties of Gladiatoria, what caused you to so urgently ask for copies at the conference?

Best,
Dierk
Dierk Hagedorn
Sergeant

Postby Dierk Hagedorn » 21 Mar 2015 14:29

Dear David,

I’m afraid I don’t know. As I understand my publisher is just preparing a shipment. So it shouldn’t take very much longer. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Dierk
Dierk Hagedorn
Sergeant

Postby Inthe Meantime » 22 Mar 2015 12:09

Hi Dierk
When I say I knew nothing about the Gladatoria I meant I knew nothing about it other than it was an early treatise and that you had produced some youtube footage illustrating some techniques (which are great by the way). Having only got truly interested in HEMA a couple of years ago, after many years of nagging by Neil, I have been focussing on unarmoured longsword (mainly Ringeck and Meyer) in order to gain a basis in the understanding of the arts.
Because of your youtube channel and various articles and posts you have made (not to mention the number of times you turn up on Wiktenauer) I knew your book would be an essential reference even if it was only slightly related to my current area of focus. And as Neil was attending it was too good an opportunity to miss.
Pugnavimus ensibus
Haud post longum tempus
Inthe Meantime
Private

Postby David Kite » 21 May 2015 14:27

I got my copy a couple weeks ago. It is quite well done, I think.

For those in North America, I emailed Freelance Academy Press, and they said they have a couple hundred copies on their way. They expect them in a couple weeks.

David Kite
ARMA
David Kite
Sergeant

Return to General Historical Martial Arts