Did WWOC 2014 happen?

Open to public view.

Did WWOC 2014 happen?

Postby admin » 10 Oct 2014 11:10

I didn't hear any mention of it after the advertisements.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Re: Did WWOC 2014 happen?

Postby KeithFarrell » 10 Oct 2014 15:27

I believe it did take place, and had some quite positive reviews, if I recall correctly.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell.net: website
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby MugginsToadwort » 21 Oct 2014 21:07

Yup, it happened. I know, because I taught for nearly an entire day... As some people may have realised, the idea and format of WWOC definitely appeals to those of us travelling from far away. 4-5 day events with classes and a lot of fighting is obviously more appealing than a 2 day event with a knockout competition when you are travelling 8000 km. The first WWOC we attended in 2010 was great for Anja and I, but the second was a bit stressed. This time I had to be persuaded a little, but I had a good time. There was a comfortable mixture of classes and tournaments, and many people opted to do all 4 of my classes (I have the advantage \disadvantage of teaching a wide range of weapons clearly and entertainingly). The dedicated group of judges helped a lot, and the tournaments went well.

However, the turnout was small (about 50 people) and organisation was typically Colin. I think the fallout from last time affected the attendance somewhat, but the abundance of events and tournaments doesn't help. Needs a new approach to work.
James Roberts
Medieval Armed Combat Society

Overqualified, overemployed, and looking to hit someone with a sword several times
MugginsToadwort
Major

Postby Davinel » 20 Dec 2014 02:49

MugginsToadwort wrote:However, the turnout was small (about 50 people) and organisation was typically Colin. I think the fallout from last time affected the attendance somewhat, but the abundance of events and tournaments doesn't help. Needs a new approach to work.

Would you mind going into a bit more detail here, about what was wrong with the organisation this year?
Davinel
Cadet

Postby MugginsToadwort » 20 Dec 2014 11:24

Basically, there were a number of issues that could have been avoided. Some of the events were swapped around at the last moment, causing confusion, and competition lists were finalised late. Time management needed some work (a tighter control on the judges was needed), and the swapping between some rule sets for successive tournaments (i.e. from the longsword format to the more experimental dagger and spear formats) didn't help.

Overall things worked, as they always have, and the spirit and comaraderie made it fun. However, there is a need at most events to have a martinet in charge at times, and Colin is a little too accommodating. I've spoken to Colin and Sandra about the issues and they've been doing a lot of thinking and planning.

Having been to a number of events recently, my comments still hold. Organisation can always be improved, but what the event had for Anja and me was a good relaxed vibe with some great people.
James Roberts
Medieval Armed Combat Society

Overqualified, overemployed, and looking to hit someone with a sword several times
MugginsToadwort
Major

Return to General Historical Martial Arts