Another viewpoint:
http://www.digladior.cz/2014/09/15/100- ... pon-fight/
Emil Barta
Nullo modo, amice.
Ulrich von L...n
Colonel

Re: Razmafzar

Postby Andreas Engström » 17 Sep 2014 18:08

Thank you, I hadn't read the report from the Czech group before. Very enlightening and about what I expected.

-Andreas
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

Postby Ulrich von L...n » 18 Sep 2014 05:11

Andreas,
You are welcome.

"about what I expected"
Based on your observations at ISS?
Emil Barta
Nullo modo, amice.
Ulrich von L...n
Colonel

Re:

Postby Andreas Engström » 18 Sep 2014 10:24

Ulrich von L...n wrote:Andreas,
You are welcome.

"about what I expected"
Based on your observations at ISS?

Yes, partly that, as a prediction of how likely it was to succeed. It seems to be a style developed specifically for fighting in armor, and with lots of closing in and grappling. If you fight a hundred fights with such a style but without the armour, it seems very likely that you will get injured.

But I also meant it as an explanation.. after hearing how it went and watching the video, the Czech guys' explanation of what went down was about what I expected.

-Andreas
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

Postby admin » 22 Sep 2014 10:44

Very interesting, though I'm not sure whether I see Manouchehr's motivations as brave or a bit silly - apart from a test of pure endurance, I don't really see the point. If you are flailing wildly after several fights and not really fighting effectively anymore then what is the goal? You may as well run a marathon, as you're not really fencing anymore.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Martin Greywolf » 22 Oct 2014 12:59

Hm, I can see several reasons why one might want to do this, but none of them are supported by the rules they had.

I mean, your usual tournament doesn't really simulate how battlefield fight would happen, endurance-wise. I think that was the goal here - find out what it was like to be in a long battle.

That said, facing a completely fresh opponent without a pause is pretty unlikely, at best.

What I'm pretty concerned/enraged about is the organizer's lack of concern for safety - no guidelines for weapons, literally falling-apart protective equipment...

Sadly, that's how things are here in the east, a year ago I saw a guy getting his neck pierced by a falchion during a tournament - same lack of concern caused it (guy had his own mask with no neck protection, and the falchion was not only completely stiff, but tapered to a point with a blunt edge) - at least a lesson was learned in this one case, and equipment was suitably safe the next year. And if you say anything you are, more often than not, accused of being a wimp.

In conclusion - it was an interesting idea that was not thought through ,or organized, very well. If you have to explain the purpose of a test to the participants after the test has taken place, you did something wrong.
Martin Greywolf
Private

Return to General Historical Martial Arts