Replica Sabre

Open to public view.

Replica Sabre

Postby Hamelsmith » 19 Aug 2014 18:51

Dear All,

I have already posted this in the market place but thought this might be a more appropriate forum.

I have just started my journey into the world of swords and am looking for some guidance.

Can anyone recommend a replica sabre manufacturer with the same quality as Albion? I imagine this will have to be a dream for a while and I will have to get something much lower end to start, but it's nice to have a goal and something to drool over in the meantime.

Also I am trying to figure what would be a jack of all trades (but master of none) sabre; decent cut, decent thrust, quality protection from hilt, not too light/hilt balanced so it has some authority in the cut, not too heavy/blade balanced that if I make a missed swing I'll be cut to ribbons. Any suggestions? From my youtubing it seems that a British pattern 1897 infantry officers sword hilt combined with an 1845 infantry officers blade might do the trick. Is such a thing possible?

Lastly, at least aesthetically, I like the idea of a blade with a curvature in between a 1796 light cavalry sabre and the 1845 infantry officers sword (without any hatchet) but haven't been able to find anything like this on the net? Any suggestions? Perhaps there is a website or book that shows the evolution of the different British sabre patterns in one place?

Thanks for any replies. Sorry if my questions are entirely idiotic, very new to all of this
Hamelsmith
Recruit in training

Re: Replica Sabre

Postby swordflasher » 24 Aug 2014 18:07

Hi Hamelsmith,

It sounds like you want something sharp to cut with rather than blunt to spar with. If so, why not buy an antique - it would probably be cheaper than an Albion type quality reproduction. Matt our Admin might even have one to sell you..

If you want a training and sparring sword, look for the thread/s on the Matt Easton sabre elsewhere on the forum.

For sharp repros, try looking on Kult of Athena for military swords you like the look of and google for reviews. I've just ordered a Windlass 1840 NCO sword just to use the blade for something. I probably wouldn't get anything by Cold Steel, though, judging from other people's comments.

As for your original question, I don't know who makes excellent repros of later swords, but someone else here might.

Good luck.
There is a world elsewhere
swordflasher
Field Marshal

Postby Hamelsmith » 25 Aug 2014 15:42

Thanks very much. I'm trying my luck in finding at finding an antique.

I have seen a volunteer rifle sword on Matt's website that looks like a great introduction. Now trying to convince my wife that's a god idea!

Best,
Luke
Hamelsmith
Recruit in training

Postby Tyler Brandon » 05 Sep 2014 02:48

swordflasher wrote:Hi Hamelsmith,

It sounds like you want something sharp to cut with rather than blunt to spar with. If so, why not buy an antique - it would probably be cheaper than an Albion type quality reproduction. Matt our Admin might even have one to sell you..

If you want a training and sparring sword, look for the thread/s on the Matt Easton sabre elsewhere on the forum.

For sharp repros, try looking on Kult of Athena for military swords you like the look of and google for reviews. I've just ordered a Windlass 1840 NCO sword just to use the blade for something. I probably wouldn't get anything by Cold Steel, though, judging from other people's comments.

As for your original question, I don't know who makes excellent repros of later swords, but someone else here might.

Good luck.

Cold Steel's newer type stuff is decent and their P'08 is pretty accurate to the India Pattern swords. Windless probably has the best modern swords. I have their M1860 Cav Officers' saber and it's actually spot on to some originals I had the chance to examine (but of course American Civil War swords varied quite a bit).

Overall, if a modern reproduction catches your eye I would check the Sword Buyers Guide forums to see if Dave Kelley has done a review of it. His are by the best and most detailed with spec comparisons between the repros and originals (usually from his collections).
Long Live The Vagabond Masters!

James T. Kirk: So what kind of combat training do you have?
Hikaru Sulu: Fencing.

"Sabre is for those who aspire to be heroes" - Matt Easton
Tyler Brandon
Sergeant

Return to General Historical Martial Arts