Throwing Knives?

Open to public view.

Throwing Knives?

Postby Saxon Violence » 06 Jul 2014 23:27

Friends,

I think we all know that Hollywood vastly over rates how often Knives are thrown in Social Engineering Situations as well as how effective a thrown Knife is.

In several Chuck Norris movies he throws away a perfectly good knife in order to take down ONE Client...

If he was just going to throw it away, he could have carried another Pistol Magazine or Two for the same weight penalty.

Nonetheless, people have thrown Knives occasionally.

The best that I can tell, The American Frontiersmen in Daniel Boone Days occasionally threw their Knives—some of them threw them sometimes...

I also have read one fellow who insists that The Apache Indians learned basic Iron Working from the Spanish about the same time that they acquired their first Iron Knives and that they were into Heavy Modification and Carrying as many Concealed Knives as reasonably possible—some of which were Dedicated Throwers.

That's about all I've come up with (O and the Ninja, who might have done most anything).

Does anyone know any ancients who treated Knife Throwing even Halfway Seriously?

When did the modern mythos first start to develop?

.....Saxon Violence
Saxon Violence
Cadet

Re: Throwing Knives?

Postby Phil C » 07 Jul 2014 09:38

Emile Andre, 1900
...with regards to throwing the knife, only some people can afford to become anywhere near as practiced as those professional showmen who have acquired a remarkable skill and throw knives between the fingers or around the head of some of their partners.

Yet Hutton's tenth lesson with the poniard is an underhand dart into your adversary, and that's based on Marozzo's advice of the 1500s.

Ohnimus, 1890, also suggests darting the knife and it is very common in Italian and Spanish folk knife styles.
--Effete Snob--
"I have a sword to defend my honour. I have a stick to answer those without honour."

http://www.blackboarswordsmanship.co.uk/
Phil C
Lieutenant General

Postby MEversbergII » 09 Jul 2014 15:10

I am under the impression that in order to reliably strike a moving target, you'd need to throw it without spin. This gives the knife less energy on impact. I'm having my doubts as to the knife's ability to get into me and cause damage unless it is quite hefty. Pretty much all my "drop instantly" spots are covered by bone, or have their own targeting concerns (kidney). Striking me in the guts doesn't seem to be a winning strategy unless you immediately turn and run, or draw another knife for stabbing me more.

M.
When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.

Best Advice on the Whole Site
MEversbergII
Major

Postby Jonathan Waller » 09 Jul 2014 16:29

While there obviously times when throwing your weapon can pay off, but in general whenever someone mentions it I am reminded of a line from the 70 musketeer movies.... "Only Porthos could invent a new way of disarming himself".
Jonathan Waller
2nd Lieutenant

Postby TheKurgan » 10 Jul 2014 14:53

Pretty sure getting a knife to your gut would be absurdly painful. Maybe not immediately kill you, but I don't think you're running around without either Batman-sized willpower, or help from a friend.
TheKurgan
Private

Postby MEversbergII » 10 Jul 2014 15:21

I don't know, if I'm high on Adrenaline I might not notice. All kinds of documented events like that, including stabs to the heart.

M.
When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back.

Best Advice on the Whole Site
MEversbergII
Major

Postby TheKurgan » 10 Jul 2014 15:23

Why would I throw my knife at you while you're high on adrenaline?
TheKurgan
Private

Postby Jonathan Waller » 10 Jul 2014 22:53

Because you just threw a knife at them... of course you have to a, hit them , b, hit them with the point and c, the point has to go through whatever you are wearing and actually get in to their gut...
Jonathan Waller
2nd Lieutenant

Postby TheKurgan » 11 Jul 2014 10:25

Right. So why would I bother throwing a knife in some sort of "fair" fight condition? It seems to me that, as nonsensical as knife throwing appears, it would be used more for a stealthy, sneaky kind of situation. Nabbing a guy while he's taking a piss, or busy staring into some shadow where you were a moment ago.

That's how it seems, anyway.
TheKurgan
Private

Postby Jonathan Waller » 11 Jul 2014 10:51

and if the goal is to be stealthy why risk doing all those things I mention, again because if you fail you have lost the element of surprise, as well as the weapon I don't know of any legitimate mention of using knife throwing as a "Sentry take out" technique... its something of movies and dodgy fiction, along with wearing swords on your back...
Jonathan Waller
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Phil C » 11 Jul 2014 14:01

Monstery killed a man with a thrown knife to the chest as well as being skilled at throwing for sport-
http://bowieknifefightsfighters.blogspo ... -19th.html

Gaucho throwing-
http://bowieknifefightsfighters.blogspo ... owing.html

There's also an account of a thrown spike being used for a record breaking sentry takeout in WWII by American troops- I can't find the link but shall persevere. There was a documentary that tested it Mythbusters style and found it to be plausible.
Last edited by Phil C on 11 Jul 2014 15:00, edited 1 time in total.
--Effete Snob--
"I have a sword to defend my honour. I have a stick to answer those without honour."

Phil C
Lieutenant General

Postby Jonathan Waller » 11 Jul 2014 14:09

Be interested to see/read about the throwing spike sentry take out... Though to be fair a spike is not a knife! :roll: :)
Jonathan Waller
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Thearos » 11 Jul 2014 22:34

I posted a link somewhere to Ben Judkins' analysis of photographs of weapons confiscated by the Shanghai police in the 1920s-- there is a rack of real throwing spikes or darts (basically metal spikes, cigar shaped, with tufts or fletching at one end)
Thearos
Colonel

Postby Thearos » 11 Jul 2014 22:35

Thearos
Colonel

Postby Phil C » 11 Jul 2014 23:08

Jonathan Waller wrote:Be interested to see/read about the throwing spike sentry take out... Though to be fair a spike is not a knife! :roll: :)

'Twas actually a bayonet which is why my memory/search failed me. Details here- http://cqb-team.com/cqbforum/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=2190
--Effete Snob--

Phil C
Lieutenant General

Postby Jonathan Waller » 12 Jul 2014 07:16

Thanks... interesting, though really being an exception proving the rule.
cheers again
Jonathan Waller
2nd Lieutenant

Postby Jonathan Waller » 12 Jul 2014 07:26

Thearos wrote:I posted a link somewhere to Ben Judkins' analysis of photographs of weapons confiscated by the Shanghai police in the 1920s-- there is a rack of real throwing spikes or darts (basically metal spikes, cigar shaped, with tufts or fletching at one end)

At the height of football hooliganism here, standard darts were a favourite missile used at matches (sword sticks were also confiscated). Shuriken, Chinese darts and similar are made for the purpose and aren't expected to be deadly, Part of the fun of throwing knives and axes is that they are efficient objects for being chucked so when they hit and stick there some extra satisfaction. Throwing spikes etc. work better but are les satisfying because of it.
Jonathan Waller
2nd Lieutenant

Return to General Historical Martial Arts