How does your blunt fare?

Open to public view.

How does your blunt fare?

Postby The false edge » 28 May 2014 10:34

First topic here..
I've recently acquired a gorgeous Pavel Moc Lichtenauwer, and have started using it in drills in the classes i participate in. This has off course led to marks (lets not call it damage yet..) on and near the edge.
I am curious to see what other peoples swords look like after training. Maybe a picture with approx hrs of use and type/maker?
Thanks!
The false edge
Recruit in training

Re: How does your blunt fare?

Postby admin » 28 May 2014 11:11

I'm afraid that all swords get damaged in use - it's just what happens when hard things hit each other.
You may find that a harder sword gets damaged less if used against a softer sword, or a thicker edge gets damaged less against a thinner edge, but generally swords damage each other.

This is related to the edge vs. flat debate by the way -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kysxg6plugc

Welcome to the forum :)
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby The false edge » 28 May 2014 12:17

Thank you,
I'm aware of these things, and will come to accept the damage as a natural thing associated with progress (more hrs spent training=progress=damage to pretty things).
I guess seeing other peoples weapons in their condition will soften the blow a bit ;)
As a side point, how does the HEMA community take care of these things? Sand paper/file/leave it be?
The false edge
Recruit in training

Postby Dave B » 28 May 2014 12:27

My experience of reenactment weapons (which get a lot of hammer and I have some that have been used for nearly 20 years) is that some makers swords seem to 'work harden' on the edge. So in the early years you get a lot of shallow dints in the edge, but after a while they don't get worse. I don't expect that HEMA swords would be much different, but none of mine have had really heavy use so I'm not sure.

For that reason I try to remove as little material as possible, just using a fine file if there is an edge that could catch and damage clothing or skin.
Dave B
Major

Postby The false edge » 28 May 2014 14:15

I've seen reenactor's swords, I'd very much like mine not to end up looking like that..... :?
The false edge
Recruit in training

Postby Dave B » 28 May 2014 14:54

It depends if they buy cheap rubbish. I don't do a lot of reenactment medieval sword stuff now, I stick mostly to baking and butchering, but I used to years back, and my two favorites (a Tim Noyes and a Mark Vickers) stayed in great nick.
Dave B
Major

Postby admin » 29 May 2014 10:57

In SG1 we file burrs off edges, because they are a health risk, wreck protective clothing and look nasty.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Return to General Historical Martial Arts