Good as modern Padded fencing gloves

Open to public view.

Good as modern Padded fencing gloves

Postby Jonathan Waller » 28 Apr 2014 08:42

There was a thread a while back on modern version of the padded fencing gloves of the 18th/19th centuires I can find it now so starting the new thread.
The 5 fingered Kote seem pretty close, though as with much of the Japanese made Kendo stuff they aren't cheap

A thread over on the HEMMA forum Jeff Hull posted pictures...
http://hemaalliance.com/discussion/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3990&sid=66d4412ba714243e96abb71cc10ab61f

Best
Jonathan Waller
2nd Lieutenant

Re: Good as modern Padded fencing gloves

Postby admin » 28 Apr 2014 11:06

Nice, I didn't know they had fingered ones as well. Sadly the level of padding is not enough for us, as they are for using with pretty light bamboo naginata, and the fingers appear to be almost unpadded.

I have been trying for literally years now to get someone to make a prototype replica of the Victorian sabre/bayonet gloves, but everybody I have tried has given up or disappeared.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Ian Mac Pharlaine » 28 Apr 2014 18:40

admin wrote:Nice, I didn't know they had fingered ones as well. Sadly the level of padding is not enough for us, as they are for using with pretty light bamboo naginata, and the fingers appear to be almost unpadded.

I have been trying for literally years now to get someone to make a prototype replica of the Victorian sabre/bayonet gloves, but everybody I have tried has given up or disappeared.

What kind of gloves would those be? And what advantages would they have? :)
Ian Mac Pharlaine
Societas Scolarium Liberati
Montgomery AL
USA
Ian Mac Pharlaine
Private

Postby admin » 29 Apr 2014 10:26

See here Ian:
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=13525

They are the type of padded gloves that were used across Europe and America in the 18th and 19th centuries, particularly for sabre and bayonet fencing. They were leather on the outside, or tough canvas, padded with horsehair, with various forms of ring around the wrist (sometimes a rubber ring) and often a thick rawhide cuff. The advantages of them seem to be that they are quite easy and cheap to make (or should be.......), have good grip and mobility, and the horsehair padding seems to have done the job against steel sabres, bayonets and quarterstaffs. I believe that wool and horsehair provide very different shock absorbancy qualities to modern materials like foam. Also of course, these are historical.
I believe that these padded gloves probably inspired the later boxing and bong-sau gloves.

admin
Emperor

Postby admin » 29 Apr 2014 10:27

And incidentally, because of the way they are constructed, it would not be difficult to add hard plates inside either, should people feel that they were necessary.

Unfortunately, despite having lots of photos and drawings of originals, I can't seem to get anyone to make a copy of one to try and hopefully have replicated in Asia.

admin
Emperor

Postby Chris Holzman » 27 Jun 2014 17:23

admin wrote:And incidentally, because of the way they are constructed, it would not be difficult to add hard plates inside either, should people feel that they were necessary.

Unfortunately, despite having lots of photos and drawings of originals, I can't seem to get anyone to make a copy of one to try and hopefully have replicated in Asia.

I've got a piece of armor weight leather that will work for the cuff, and I think I have a plan on how a canvas or leather wrist ring will go together, but I have no desire to actually try to sew a leather glove or wrist ring.

My current thought is that I'd rather come up with an over cuff that looks correct, and then use a separate glove. I really don't care for the idea of having to sew a new glove on to the cuff every time the glove rots out.
--
Chris Holzman
Moniteur D' Armes
"[T]he calm spirit is the only force that can defeat instinct, and render us the masters of all our strengths." -Capt. Settimo Del Frate, 1876.
Author of "The Art of the Dueling Sabre".
Chris Holzman
Staff Sergeant

Postby Chris Holzman » 25 Aug 2014 03:33

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Art- ... 4354782848

Well, I've got the cuff and wrist ring figured out. Pictures on the book's Facebook page. Now if only we could find a glove worth anything to go on the cuff...
--
Chris Holzman
Moniteur D' Armes
"[T]he calm spirit is the only force that can defeat instinct, and render us the masters of all our strengths." -Capt. Settimo Del Frate, 1876.
Author of "The Art of the Dueling Sabre".
Chris Holzman
Staff Sergeant

Return to General Historical Martial Arts