Looking for groups in the Greater Manchester area

Open to public view.

Looking for groups in the Greater Manchester area

Postby The Bag » 12 Sep 2012 11:32

Hopefully this is the right area to ask this.

I'm looking for HEMA groups in the Greater Manchester area, this is an enquiry for a friend who's interested in getting started with this stuff. Any suggestions/links?

Thanks
The Bag
Private

Re: Looking for groups in the Greater Manchester area

Postby admin » 12 Sep 2012 11:34

Contact scoobing:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12341
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby The Salmon Lord » 12 Sep 2012 13:14

Or Dave B who helps run the Black Boar Cheshire Chapter. We have a workshop a week on saturday and regular training during the week.
President Black Boar, Cupar Original, HC
The Salmon Lord
Brigadier

Postby Scoobing » 12 Sep 2012 21:38

Hi

Have a look here, this is a link to the Facebook page that's been set up for a Manchester group, all the information you'd need is there. Any probs just ask

http://www.facebook.com/groups/273959946042492/
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there did it make any noise?... If a man voices his opinion in the forest and no women hears him is he still wrong?
Scoobing
Corporal

Postby Dave B » 17 Sep 2012 15:51

Well, it's like waiting for a bus isn't it, you wait for years for a HEMA group to fill the gaping void between Bradford and Coventry, and then three come along at once.

I've waited for years for a group to appear round the Manchester area. I did attend the workshops that Paul was leading in Manchester in early 2010, but they petered out (I think because it was mostly students and they all disapeared in the summer). Once a couple of us got together and decided to start one ourselves, two others start as well.

Looks like there is your group coming along in Manchester, Kieren and Julie down in Newcastle-under-lyme, and Jenny and I in the middle in Congleton.

Hopefully things will be complementary. We took a decision not to do the longsword thing, its a heavily travelled road. We have started by looking at Courtsword - it has the advantage of being a fairly simple weapon that teaches a lot of basic principles, and not needing a lot of protective equipment, but we aim to move onto a further weapon once we get established, although it will doubtless be something a little later than medieval again, perhaps something niche.

What are you guys looking at? I get the impression you are concentrating on Medieval? and are you just looking at the sword arts, or will you get into the grappling/striking stuff (which I'm rather keen on)?

Either way, I'll come along and see what you are up to in your early sessions if I can, I have the kit (Nylon and steel). I think the october one is probably a problem as I'm coming back from a holiday on the monday afternoon and probably would not make it in time, but I'll try to get there anyother time (and likewise I'll be trying to get down to Kierens class sometime). If you fancy visiting us, our next saturday workshop is this saturday (the 22nd)

Dave Banks
Black Boar (Cheshire).
Dave B
Major

Postby Scoobing » 17 Sep 2012 16:31

Hi yea initally we will be looking a German Longsword with Paul teaching and then moving on to other wepons as well probbaly medieval era as well as id like to look as sword and Buckler as well at some point and i know that Pauls other half has started looking at this too.

and would be great if you could come down for one of our sessions as well, ill post when the next one is after october when i know myself.

Dave
If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there did it make any noise?... If a man voices his opinion in the forest and no women hears him is he still wrong?
Scoobing
Corporal

Postby Dave B » 17 Sep 2012 16:42

Good stuff. I'm more interested in later stuff appart from the unarmed and dagger (rather hooked on the medieval wrestling after a couple of classes at FIghtcamp, and would love to do some Lignitzer or something), but I'll certainly pop over when I can. Shame I can't make the first one, but I have no idea what time in the afternoon I'll get back from holiday or what state I'll be in!
Dave B
Major

Postby Scoobing » 17 Sep 2012 16:51

You'll be welcome to come over any time you can and im sure as we get more established we will diversify into looking at other fighting systems as to the way i think we will run is if someone has a particular interest in say medieval wrestling and wants to do some research and do a group lesson to report back on what he/she has learnt thats brilliant i'd definatly encourage that and as a group discuss how we can make the techniques work and practise.

I'm still a definate beginner but happy to learn from people more experienced than me but also read up fighting techniques as well and put them into practise and see how it works out
Scoobing
Corporal

Postby Dave B » 17 Sep 2012 17:31

In the unlikely event that I am back on the 1st October (and I probably will not know till on the day), is it OK if I just pop up - I have my own mask and both steel and nylon.
Dave B
Major

Postby Scoobing » 17 Sep 2012 20:44

Yea that's fine your welcome any time Look forward to meeting you
Scoobing
Corporal

Postby Scoobing » 30 Sep 2012 17:53

First meeting of Sword Fighting in Manchester is tomorrow evening at St. Matthew's Church, Chester Road, Stretford, Manchester. M32 8HF in the church hall starting at 7.30. See our Facebook page for more details

http://m.facebook.com/?_rdr#!/groups/27 ... =727057670
Scoobing
Corporal

Postby F0rre5ter » 11 Nov 2015 00:36

Hello all,

Just a quick word to mention that the ex-stretford club is still going strong at the new Moss Side venue, spiritual home of edged weapons, and a fresh batch of crazy, athletic students are picking things up scarily quickly.

We've become attached to KDF mainly due to my links back to Leeds, but any Scholas are welcome, and we look forward to seeing you all at fightcamp bigtime.

Massive thanks to Paul for starting this club in the 1st place, never would have done it myself.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/swordfi ... r/?fref=ts
F0rre5ter
Cadet

Return to General Historical Martial Arts