Getting Started

Open to public view.

Getting Started

Postby Lightweight » 18 Sep 2010 01:09

I've recently started doing archery (about a month) and am looking to get my first bow.
Mainly because the clubs bows are well used, to put it nicely, and I want to start developing consistency.

I would like to move on to longbow but what is the best route?

1) Do I start of with re-curve and build up on limb strength over time before changing at a recommended level?
or
2) Is it better to go straight in with a low strength longbow and develop from there?

I'm only at 36lb on a 29" draw.

Any comments appreciated!
Lightweight
Cadet

Re: Getting Started

Postby KeithFarrell » 18 Sep 2010 10:44

I always prefer to teach my students on a simple longbow so that they develop correct archery technique and don't need to rely on all the fancy bits and pieces that can sometimes be found on modern bows...
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell.net: website
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Lightweight » 19 Sep 2010 10:49

Cheers for the advice Keith, I had already decided from watching other people at the club that I wasn't going to get any sights, anti-vibration, balances and what-nots whatever style of bow I took. It's not my sort of thing.

I went to a shop yesterday that had been recommended by people at the club and found that they also make longbows there. Spent a bit of time chatting to the owner and I've decided to get a re-curve to start with and look a bit more into longbows before I buy my first one.
Lightweight
Cadet

Postby KeithFarrell » 19 Sep 2010 11:45

Sounds like a reasonable decision :-) have fun with your new toy when you get it!
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell.net: website
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Dithyrambus » 19 Sep 2010 15:37

Lightweight wrote:Cheers for the advice Keith, I had already decided from watching other people at the club that I wasn't going to get any sights, anti-vibration, balances and what-nots whatever style of bow I took. It's not my sort of thing.

I went to a shop yesterday that had been recommended by people at the club and found that they also make longbows there. Spent a bit of time chatting to the owner and I've decided to get a re-curve to start with and look a bit more into longbows before I buy my first one.

I had all of the 'bells and whistles' on my first bow, I found that I spent a lot of time fiddling with the sights etc, one day I decided to remove all of the unnecessary components and discovered that archery was much more rewarding without these things (IMO).
Mark H.

"I have two enemies, the Southern Army in front of me, and the financial institutions in the rear. Of the two, the one in my rear is my greatest foe.” Abraham Lincoln

If you can parry a bull you can parry pretty much anything - Lyceum
Dithyrambus
Colonel

Postby SCA Archer » 22 Sep 2010 22:00

Ah, that fickle mistress, Archery. Oh how I love thee.

If you've the opportunity, shoot as many styles of archery as possible.
Ultimately they all shoot the same. And yet very different as you change weapons: recurve, longbow, horsebow, daikyu. I try to not lump crossbows into this list, as in my mind, they are their own beast to tame.

Make sure you actually enjoy the sport before diving into a spending spree.

My 2 quid.
Mikey T.
sto pro vestra terra
inflecto pro vestra regina
supplex pro vestra uxor
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is final. You have to be slow in a hurry." -- Wyatt Earp.
SCA Archer
Brigadier

Postby Harry » 04 Oct 2010 14:58

hi lightweight,

I also started with archery not long ago (1,5 years) and I started with a longbow.

shooting with a recurve, especially when this one has an arrow window (don't know the exact english translation) then shooting is completly different to the longbow archery.

I would suggest you buy yourself a bickerstaffe longbow mit 40#. this is really really easy to draw and has really comfortable handshock.

see that the arrows are heavy enough (7-8 grains/pound drawweight) and check the spine. (this should be done by the guys in the shop). spine for normal longbows is : spine = drawweight (or slighty below)

I talked also to many archers and everybody told me that it is better to start the bow type which you want to shoot finally. just start with low poundage and then go up to heavier ones.

just my cents and my expierence.
all the best
harry

btw. glennan carnie is part of this forum, maybe you should write him a PM. he is maybe one of the best known archers for heavy warbows and longbow archery.
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 2/2/4/4)

"Take away all his weapons and than kick him in the ass" - Free Translation from the Viennese Gladiatoria
Harry
Colonel

Postby Lightweight » 10 Oct 2010 20:32

Just a quick thanks for the all the advice posted.

It's given me a much better idea of the direction I need to take.
Lightweight
Cadet

Postby bow-toxo » 14 Jan 2013 08:21

[
If you've the opportunity, shoot as many styles of archery as possible.

My 2 quid.[/quote]
In my exprrience that causes confusion, making it necessary to think every shot through to keep track and robbing you of spontaneity. Especially true if you mix Victorian point-of-aim, corner of the mouth shooting with mediaeval draw to the ear or beyond, don't look at the arrow, don't hang on the string.
bow-toxo
Private

Postby Thearos » 07 Aug 2014 08:05

Very useful thread this.

I was interested in what some people call a "gull's wing bow". Is this easy to buy on the market ? Is there anything to be said against such a purchase ?
Thearos
Colonel

Postby janner » 07 Aug 2014 11:56

I started with a 45lb composite longbow - less expensive, but fine for working on technique :D
Stephen

The pen is mightier than the sword. But only if the pen is very sharp and the sword is very small. Terry Pratchett
janner
Lieutenant

Return to General Historical Martial Arts