Ancient Egyptian Fencing/Stick Fighting

Ancient Egyptian Fencing/Stick Fighting

Postby Tyler Brandon » 20 Jul 2013 20:07

Four centuries before the Olympic Games of Ancient Greece, a bas-relief in the temple of Medinet- About in High Egypt and built by Ramsès III in 1190 BC, depicts a sporting competition organised by the Pharaoh to celebrate his victory over the Libyans. The weapons - certainly sticks with bronze plates in the end - are buttoned. Hands are protected by a guard similar to that of sabre, and some of the fencers have their faces protected by a mask, whose chin rolling pad, covering both ears, is attached to a wig. The non-sword arm is used for parrying blows and is protected by a kind of shield. The translation of hieroglyphs teaches us that the opponents shouted at each other "On guard … and admire what my valiant hand is going to make!", and that spectators did not spare encouragements for their favourites: "Go ! O excellent fighter!". The winner salutes with his weapon, to the Pharaoh who is accompanied by his suite. The public is composed of Assyrians, Libyans and Egyptians; the jury and the organisers are recognizable thanks to their feathers. A scribe notes on a papyrus the results of the competition.

Article at
Article at Columbia Classical Fencing

Thebes, Egypt, c. 1350 B.C.E.

Tomb of Merire II at El Amarna, c. 1350 B.C.E.

From Medinet Habu

Long Live The Vagabond Masters!

James T. Kirk: So what kind of combat training do you have?
Hikaru Sulu: Fencing.

"Sabre is for those who aspire to be heroes" - Matt Easton
Tyler Brandon

Re: Ancient Egyptian Fencing/Stick Fighting

Postby FreddieDeleon » 29 Apr 2016 06:51

Much obliged to you for this stunning. it is really very attractive and nice too. May be it will be a better source to understand the readers. specially for the readers who are seeking such a POST.

Re: Ancient Egyptian Fencing/Stick Fighting

Postby MattS » 07 Jun 2016 14:09

I'm not sure how I'd missed this post, but this is amazing!

I need to find out more...

Return to Art sources for martial technique interpretation