A new Ringeck transcription again

Open to public view.

A new Ringeck transcription again

Postby Dierk Hagedorn » 16 Aug 2008 22:51

Dear manuscript lovers,

just a minute ago I put my brand new transcription of Mscr. Dresd. C 487 online.
Here it is.
(There's an introduction which is, unfortunately, in German only - so far.)

There are a couple of Ringecks available already, so one might wonder: Why another one?
Well, at least I needed another one.

Now you might ask: What does this one offer the other ones don't have?

Most of the versions I am aware of are based on Martin Wierschin's edition of the manuscript (Meister Johann Liechtenauers Kunst des Fechtens. München: C. H. Beck’sche Verlagsbuchhandlung, 1965). Wierschin made extensive use of the manuscript 3227a and corrected a number of errors of missing passages from it. Wierschin's version is black and white only.

What I did was to transcribe the Ringeck manuscript as true to the text as possible - with all its faults, missing passages and errors.
The passages that are written in red in the original are red here too.

The manuscript had been bound anew before the leaves were being numbered. By doing this, something went wrong: Wierschin already realised thet foll.124r(123r)–125v(124v) originally belonged between fol. 47v and fol. 48r. However, another mistake remained unnoticed: foll.(123r/v(122r/v) and 126r/v(125r/v)) have to be inserted between fol. 101v(100v) and 103r(102r).

The new transcription is, I'm afraid, less legible than the version presented by Stefan Dieke on the Freifechter website or on wikipedia, but I do hope it offers an interesting and rewarding alternative.

Any comments and suggestion for improvement are highly welcome.

Best regards
Dierk
Dierk Hagedorn
Sergeant

Postby Andreas Engström » 17 Aug 2008 10:45

Great work, Dierk!

Strange coincidence... I've just yesterday gone public on our site with my swedish translation and interpretation project for the unarmored longsword sections.. which included an independent transcription. Now I'll have to go through my transcription again and compare it with yours.. :-) Mine is, though, more like Stefan Dieke's, in that I've resolved abbreviations and omitted striked-through words.

Thanks a lot for making this publicly available.

-Andreas
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

Postby bigdummy » 17 Aug 2008 16:22

Is that available in English Andreas?
"In the case of an ailing social order, the absence of an adequate diagnosis... is a crucial, perhaps decisive part of the disease." -Zygmunt Bauman

"With any luck we'll be in Stalingrad by winter. " - Anyonymous German soldier
bigdummy
Field Marshal

Postby Andreas Engström » 17 Aug 2008 17:34

bigdummy wrote:Is that available in English Andreas?

Nah, I'm afraid not. Perhaps one day, when I'm completely satisfied with it in swedish. Which is to say, unfortunately, not in a rather long time, I think.

-Andreas
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

Postby Angantyr » 19 Aug 2008 16:54

More to read... yay? :D
Angantyr
Captain

Postby bigdummy » 19 Aug 2008 17:02

Sorry to hear it, the Ringeck interpretations we use are getting a little long in the tooth, and I think your fencing is good. If you ever need some guniea pigs to test out an unofficial English version (or parts of one) let me know.

BD
"In the case of an ailing social order, the absence of an adequate diagnosis... is a crucial, perhaps decisive part of the disease." -Zygmunt Bauman

"With any luck we'll be in Stalingrad by winter. " - Anyonymous German soldier
bigdummy
Field Marshal

Return to Johannes Liechtenauer Lineage