Single hander against Longsword

Open to public view.

Single hander against Longsword

Postby Cutlery Penguin » 16 Jul 2008 07:25

Whilst sparring at fightcamp I noticed I was getting hit by the same technique again and again. Namely krumphau. The problem I had was that the initial movement is to my right and then the cut comes to my left.

I suspect that I simply need to power through it with a strong cover but I would be interested to hear how other people deal with this?
Oz
Kingslayer 2011

English Martial Arts
Learn Classical Pugilism online!

"Oz deserves to be insulted as he was fairly sarcastic"
Cutlery Penguin
Gentleman

Re: Single hander against Longsword

Postby Herbert » 16 Jul 2008 09:01

Cutlery Penguin wrote:The problem I had was that the initial movement is to my right and then the cut comes to my left.

Don't really get it - your opponent moves to the (seen from your side) left and he also strikes to you from the left side. How can he be attacking you from the right side?

If you use a single handed sword I guess you also use something in your other hand - do you? If you are smart it will be a buckler (or a gun in which case the problem is solved :wink: )

What you should do is:
• block the blow with your buckler and try to get his hand/arm
• block the blow by pushing it from you towards the opponent and get his arm from the other side with your short edge from below (works quite well if you are fast enough)
• beat his blade downwards to your right, take control over his hands with your buckler and attack from above.

Or something along these lines. Problem is you have to be fast and you must not miss the right moment but then this is always the case in swordfighting.

Herbert
Herbert
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Single hander against Longsword

Postby Cutlery Penguin » 16 Jul 2008 12:07

Herbert wrote:Don't really get it - your opponent moves to the (seen from your side) left and he also strikes to you from the left side. How can he be attacking you from the right side?

Well as I said that wasn't what happened. The initial movement appeared to be coming just on the right (from my perspective) of center, and the cut then landed clearly on the left. Being that the system I use has two completely different methods of dealing with attacks to different sides it made things tricky, hence the post.

If you use a single handed sword I guess you also use something in your other hand - do you? If you are smart it will be a buckler (or a gun in which case the problem is solved :wink: )

I was hoping someone may be able to suggest something more constructive than "use different weapons".

What you should do is:
• block the blow with your buckler and try to get his hand/arm
• block the blow by pushing it from you towards the opponent and get his arm from the other side with your short edge from below (works quite well if you are fast enough)
• beat his blade downwards to your right, take control over his hands with your buckler and attack from above.

Or something along these lines. Problem is you have to be fast and you must not miss the right moment but then this is always the case in swordfighting.

Herbert

I understand fully how to deal with an attack coming to my left, as I stated though it was the deceptive nature of the attack as I saw it that caused me problems. However perhaps this was simply something that Magnus does and other people don't. Maybe that's why you don't think it actually happened as I described.
Oz
Kingslayer 2011

English Martial Arts

Cutlery Penguin
Gentleman

Postby Fab » 16 Jul 2008 12:20

hm perhaps it's also good to precise that Magnus is left-handed.
Fab
Field Marshal

Postby Magnus Hagelberg » 16 Jul 2008 13:17

Kit and I was discussing some different ideas about this, and came to the conclusion that silver was right, stepp clear and hit the hands.
or, go in and take the sword with either halfsword like teq. or a realy hilt close one.

so perhapps the answer is to try and draw out the initial attack more before you turn it away, as that would give you a chanse to get in a better bind and get to the distance where you are more dangerous than the londsword.
Magnus Hagelberg
Brigadier

Postby Cutlery Penguin » 16 Jul 2008 17:03

Fab wrote:hm perhaps it's also good to precise that Magnus is left-handed.

I didn't even notice that until he told me afterwards. I suppose it could be relevant but I'm not sure. It didn't feel it at the time, after all he had both hands on the weapon...
Oz
Kingslayer 2011

English Martial Arts

Cutlery Penguin
Gentleman

Postby Cutlery Penguin » 16 Jul 2008 17:06

Magnus Hagelberg wrote:Kit and I was discussing some different ideas about this, and came to the conclusion that silver was right, stepp clear and hit the hands.
or, go in and take the sword with either halfsword like teq. or a realy hilt close one.

so perhapps the answer is to try and draw out the initial attack more before you turn it away, as that would give you a chanse to get in a better bind and get to the distance where you are more dangerous than the londsword.

I suspect you are right. I need to be more commited one way or the other. Either press in and get to the halfsword and utilse my free hand, or fly out and cut the hands. Both of which worked very well when I did them, it was only when I tried to stand my ground against you that I really came a cropper. I suppose it is the extra levarage that two hands gives you when you are changing the direction of the sword.

So the answer would be "just do what you tell everyone else to do"
Oz
Kingslayer 2011

English Martial Arts

Cutlery Penguin
Gentleman

Return to Johannes Liechtenauer Lineage