Sprechfenster - How do you teach it?

Open to public view.

Sprechfenster - How do you teach it?

Postby TheDude » 06 May 2008 11:14

Hi all,

Last week I was teaching a class on sprechfenster and was wondering how you present it to your students. I've kept it quite late in the 'syllabus' so that they are already confident with all the basic first. In my class I introduce langort and its use in both the engaged and disengaged version of sprechfenster.

Here is the engaged version:

I cover the idea of the engaged system first, getting them to practice the following from the bind:

Opponent weakens or begins to take off..thrust through to face or chest.
Opponent attempts to shove or bash sword aside...rotate point under and around his sword and thrust to face or chest.
Opponent tries to step deeply to the side and attack your head without changing sides....wind to left ochs and thrust to the face.
Opponent tries to step deeply around to the other side and attack your head...wind to right ochs with a step and thrust to the face.

I also get them to do slow exercises, experimenting with the fine tuning of fuhlen and winding.
TheDude
Major

Postby Alexander Pierre » 06 May 2008 21:20

Hi,

We do the same thing...from the bind:

- the opponent is weak > thrust
- the opponent is strong (without displacing the sword) > left or right winden depending on the level of "strength"
- the opponent displaces the sword > durchwechseln

An alternative consists of doing that with the eyes closed to work on fuhlen.

To complexify the drill: one may allow the opponent to react (a single reaction) to the winden/thrust/durchwechseln. E.g. change the pressure on the blade, after a winden the opponent lifts his quillon up, after durchwelchseln the opponent may go to pflug,...

Giving a choice is a good thing in a drill to work on fuhlen and decision making. The one who works concentrates on the stimulus and performs an appropriate action.

Alexander

ps: my study group is avidly looking for new drills to work on versetzen, winden, fuhlen and krieg in general...
Alexander Pierre
Corporal

Postby Harry » 08 May 2008 12:35

I always start to teach the sprechfenster only with the bare hands and closed eyes...

first of all, the press their palms of their right hands together and then they have to follow the pressure

second: press the palms together again... on reduces the pressure, the other one charges in with a light touch on the mask (eyes are still closed

third: press the palms together again... on raises the pressure, the other one let him go, step out of the line and makes a small touch on the mask

fourth: press together again... then one should try to give more pressure on a side (left or right), the other should bring him more to this side, step out of the line and touches the mask

5th - 8th: same with the sword

9th: drill in this directions, after "zufechten"
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 2/2/4/4)

"Take away all his weapons and than kick him in the ass" - Free Translation from the Viennese Gladiatoria
Harry
Colonel

Postby Fab » 08 May 2008 15:17

Harry wrote:I always start to teach the sprechfenster only with the bare hands and closed eyes...

first of all, the press their palms of their right hands together and then they have to follow the pressure

second: press the palms together again... on reduces the pressure, the other one charges in with a light touch on the mask (eyes are still closed

third: press the palms together again... on raises the pressure, the other one let him go, step out of the line and makes a small touch on the mask

fourth: press together again... then one should try to give more pressure on a side (left or right), the other should bring him more to this side, step out of the line and touches the mask

5th - 8th: same with the sword

9th: drill in this directions, after "zufechten"

That's how we do, adding changing hands and the ways to put pressure (using the arm strenght, upper body strength, body weight, and so on.)
Fab
Field Marshal

Return to Johannes Liechtenauer Lineage