Hammaborg vid on I.33: Krucke vs First Ward

Open to public view.

Hammaborg vid on I.33: Krucke vs First Ward

Postby Roland Warzecha » 21 Apr 2008 15:04

Hi bucklerists (... the chosen ones who can wield a sword with one hand only)!

We have put together a new video.
This time we are showing our version of 'krucke'/crutch.
This is an 'obsessio' which is to counter first ward/under arm as can be seen on the manuscript's page 4 recto (7), lower plate.

As you can see in the video we chose to employ first ward dynamicly: The warder is not initially in first ward but cuts towards his opponent and ends his blow in first ward. We do this to be able to train the technique evolution in a flow. Of course the techniques also work if the warder enters the fight in first ward which is how this sequence is usually taught. In this case the obsessor has to enter mid-distance with crutch while in our clip he avoids the blow moving back into crutch. The distance is yet the same, like is the technique evolution. Best if you train krucke both advancing aswell as moving backwards.
Krucke is designed to close the direct lines of attack against first ward in mid-distance. This is standard I.33 procedure. In the obsessio, follow-up actions depend on the warder's reactions. So like each obsessio krucke is a tactical decision making point in the hot zone of mid-distance.

If the warder does not react in time the obsessor is advised to enter with a thrust. Take an offline step to the left, turn the shield to the right and thrust on a high line. Thus your thrust is fast and your body is far away from the opponent's sword. This action is shown on 5 verso (10) upper plate.

This action can be countered by the warder by rotating his sword clockwise from the under arm position to meet the obsessor's sword and overbind it while he tries to thrust from krucke as shown on 4 verso (8 ) upper plate. The overbind should be followed by a shield strike and a sword blow to the face as has been taught in the preceeding plays of the first ward. This is in accordance with the instructions of the text accompanying this plate. The completion is depicted on 5 recto (9), upper plate.

The time frame for the obsessor to counter the warder's action is exactly in between the stages depicted in the two afore mentioned plates: When he feels his attempted thrust is being overbound he raises his hilt high so that the sword arm forms an arc. He then steps forward and passes his shield arm underneath this arc to envelop the warder's arms in a snake motion. Don't bring your sword forward until you have secured your opponent's arms. Compare with 4 verso (8 ), lower plate.

Note that I.33 does not deal with any direct attacks by the warder against the obsessor in krucke. This is probably because they would be futile if the obsessor knows his job and because no openings are accessible. However, in free play you may be confronted with opponents binding directly against your krucke from your right side. Your options would be
- a winding thrust from a high bind or
- a shield strike fromt a lower bind or
- an "überlaufen" against an attempt to bind very low.
We do not show any of these actions in the video, though.

Thanks to Toke for editing and up-loading the clip.

All the best,
Roland
Roland Warzecha
Sergeant-Major

Postby Magnus Hagelberg » 21 Apr 2008 15:45

thank you for the Vid.
nice intent.
Magnus Hagelberg
Brigadier

Postby Matclarke » 21 Apr 2008 18:02

nice vid, cheers.
Matclarke
Colonel

Postby Lord_Nelle » 21 Apr 2008 20:04

Very nice video. Thanks
Anders "Nelle" Nilsson, Instructor Angermanna Mnhfs
I don´t get mad, I get stabby
Lord_Nelle
Sergeant-Major

Postby David Rawlings » 21 Apr 2008 22:46

hi mr, as I said on sfi, you are using it against 2nd, (not 1st, as shown in the manual)
nice to see you stuff as always.
http://www.londonlongsword.com
This thread sucks, screw you guys I'm going home....teehee
David Rawlings
Kilted at the Altar

Postby Roland Warzecha » 22 Apr 2008 10:00

Hi all,

Dave has expertly spotted a flaw in the video:
In the clip, we are actually using krucke as an reaction to a cut from second ward/right shoulder. The manual, however, defines krucke as an obsessio against first ward and that's what we considered it all the time, too.
No doubt about that.

Apparently though, in an effort to train and demonstrate the sequence in a flow we were making use of the knowledge that our training partner will cut all the way into first. This does not reflect free play reality.
We will remedy this, thanks for making us aware, Dave.

This does, in my opinion, not alter the follow-up actions, though. The evolution of techniques remains the same.

All the best,
Roland
Roland Warzecha
Sergeant-Major

Postby David Rawlings » 22 Apr 2008 11:36

Hi Roland, I think we've all done that at some point(most likely will again too). thanks again for the clips, always nice to see.
http://www.londonlongsword.com
This thread sucks, screw you guys I'm going home....teehee
David Rawlings
Kilted at the Altar

Postby Roland Warzecha » 22 Apr 2008 18:37

You are right, Dave.
This is what internet exchange is good for.
Thanks again for the constructive criticism.

All the best,
Roland
Roland Warzecha
Sergeant-Major

Return to Johannes Liechtenauer Lineage