"Forbidden wrestling"

Open to public view.

"Forbidden wrestling"

Postby Angantyr » 13 Apr 2008 08:42

Hi all, sitting here and reading the translations of Ringeck by Tobler and Lindholm for the 100th time I still dont get this part of the book to make sence.
It not so much the technique, it is more that they say it is armouredwrestling.
The master says it is hidden wrestling, not to show public and also consist of mortstosse (dealt with unarmoured...) and some of the techniques makes more sense when doing out of armour. (Kicking the knee, breaking the elbow, fingermanipulation.)
I was just wondering on what the opinion of the good people here about this chapter?
Is it just an armoured part, or is it as I believe the place where Ringeck explains to us some dirty tricks, and also why we see so few punches in the other books? (Not to be shown public by wise masters...)
Angantyr
Captain

Postby Martin Wallgren » 13 Apr 2008 13:59

I belive it is "Combat wrestling" that is to dangerous for your opponent so it cant be used in friendly sparring och at competitions at markets and such. So yes, dirty tricks and foul moves.
Martin Wallgren
Major

Re: "Forbidden wrestling"

Postby Wolfgang Ritter » 14 Apr 2008 11:26

Angantyr wrote:Hi all, sitting here and reading the translations of Ringeck by Tobler and Lindholm for the 100th time I still dont get this part of the book to make sence.
It not so much the technique, it is more that they say it is armouredwrestling.
The master says it is hidden wrestling, not to show public and also consist of mortstosse (dealt with unarmoured...) and some of the techniques makes more sense when doing out of armour. (Kicking the knee, breaking the elbow, fingermanipulation.)
I was just wondering on what the opinion of the good people here about this chapter?
Is it just an armoured part, or is it as I believe the place where Ringeck explains to us some dirty tricks, and also why we see so few punches in the other books? (Not to be shown public by wise masters...)

What chapter in Ringeck are we talking about exactly? I haven't got the Tobler or the Lindholm book, but if I know the page in the source in question, I may help you.
Regards
Wolfgang
Wolfgang Ritter
Captain

Postby Lord_Nelle » 14 Apr 2008 13:22

Lindholms second book of Ringeck talks about it. (Knighly art of combat)

It talks about the Verboten ringen. It says that the technics are used with intent in combat fencing. Including arm and leg breaks, groinstrikes, murderstrikes, kneestrikes, finger break and eyegouges.

I think that it clearly shows closecombat for just combat. It´s designed to disable your opponent permanently with or without armour.
Anders "Nelle" Nilsson, Instructor Angermanna Mnhfs
I don´t get mad, I get stabby
Lord_Nelle
Sergeant-Major

Return to Johannes Liechtenauer Lineage