New Hammaborg vid on I.33's first play

Open to public view.

New Hammaborg vid on I.33's first play

Postby Roland Warzecha » 04 Apr 2008 15:42

Hi bucklerists,

we have put together a new video showing the technique evolution of the play of I.33's first ward/under arm.

You will note that we chose to put this play in a fight context. So the adoption of first ward results from a committed right diagonal cut to the opponent. The opponent in turn avoids the blow and instantly comes back into measure with halfshield to counterstrike.

To avoid misunderstandings:
We do not suggest that first ward cannot be adopted as an initial ward. But when looking at the first play as a fight in progress sequence the high speed, exact timing and measure that we think is necessary to efficiently fight with I.33's obsessiones becomes apparent. In fact, if one wouldn't know that halfshield is adopted in this clip it could easily be missed.

We have also incorporated our suggestion for 'durchtreten'/tread through against a right overbind. There is some discussion whether the durchtreten for this kind of bind is shown later in the manual on page 30v/60. Everyone agrees that this is a most effective counter to a strong right overbind. We use it, too, and it is in the video. But we have another suggestion what the 'durchtreten' against a right overbind could be: Our version is basically the analogy to our 'durchtreten' against a left bind which has been demonstrated in the Hammaborg clip on the second ward, only this time on the other side, of course. Practicioners of the Liechtenauer tradition will recognize the similarity to 'duplieren' in both cases. So as soon as the warder - having fallen under the halfshielder's sword and shield (which we do with the short edge)- feels that he loses his thrust line because his blade is set aside he winds to bring the point online again. Only if we sense the pressure in the bind being too strong to do so we use the point down hanger from 30v/60.

Unfortunately, we forgot to include the grappling counter. This can still be seen in our older clip on this play.

Now, enjoy the video.

All the best,
Roland
Roland Warzecha
Sergeant-Major

nice

Postby hafoc » 05 Apr 2008 12:49

Very nice.

Is there any way to get copies of your large shield work? I'd like to try that stuff out.
hafoc
Staff Sergeant

Re: nice

Postby Roland Warzecha » 07 Apr 2008 11:45

Hi Hafoc.

hafoc wrote:Is there any way to get copies of your large shield work? I'd like to try that stuff out.

What do you mean copies? Like papers or the like? Nothing at hand, I am afraid. Just the vids.
The big shield clips are more like a motion sketchbook of our experiments. There are plenty of inaccuracies and mistakes in the execution of the techniques. But some concepts become clear, I hope.

We will hopefully post more on that issue in summer.

All the best,
Roland
Roland Warzecha
Sergeant-Major

Postby Magnus Hagelberg » 07 Apr 2008 13:07

thank you.
nice go, a pitty youre camera was cramped at times so you got out of focus.
or something.
Magnus Hagelberg
Brigadier

Postby hafoc » 08 Apr 2008 10:28

Roland Warzecha wrote:Hi Hafoc.

hafoc wrote:Is there any way to get copies of your large shield work? I'd like to try that stuff out.

What do you mean copies? Like papers or the like? Nothing at hand, I am afraid. Just the vids.
The big shield clips are more like a motion sketchbook of our experiments. There are plenty of inaccuracies and mistakes in the execution of the techniques. But some concepts become clear, I hope.

We will hopefully post more on that issue in summer.

All the best,
Roland

Yeah, copies of the vids, if you will share them. Whatever the mistakes, they were fun to watch and I'd like to try copying you.
hafoc
Staff Sergeant

Postby Roland Warzecha » 08 Apr 2008 16:11

hafoc wrote:[
Yeah, copies of the vids, if you will share them.

I shall ask Toke, our editor in charge.
Roland Warzecha
Sergeant-Major

Return to Johannes Liechtenauer Lineage