Clothing preference for new book on German Longsword

Open to public view.

What would you prefer in a book base don Ringeck?

Tight hose, loose doublet, shoes
7%
Slash and puff - late style ala Meyer and Mair
No votes
Completely naked ala Capo Ferro
14%
Loose doublet, tight hose and boots
14%
Modern clothes
66%

Total votes : 29

Postby TheDude » 26 Nov 2007 12:16

This is how the colour scheme will look:

TheDude
Major

Postby Richard Strey » 26 Nov 2007 12:44

Hmm. My girlfriend is going to like the book.
Richard Strey
Staff Sergeant

Postby admin » 26 Nov 2007 17:52

:lol:
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby swordflasher » 25 Dec 2007 10:42

How about your usual sparring kit, with masks?

Some posed photos, and some taken actually doing a technique at speed?
There is a world elsewhere
swordflasher
Field Marshal

Postby Bill » 26 Dec 2007 19:21

I think it should be done completely naked..... with Playboy Bunnies,.... with giant hooters :shock: :D
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. ukn

What hurts.....Teaches German poverb

Bill
Bill
Captain

Postby Harry » 26 Dec 2007 21:37

Bill wrote:I think it should be done completely naked..... with Playboy Bunnies,.... with giant hooters :shock: :D

yes! I am with you! :D
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 2/2/4/4)

"Take away all his weapons and than kick him in the ass" - Free Translation from the Viennese Gladiatoria
Harry
Colonel

Postby Harlequin » 14 Jan 2008 21:48

Whilst I know this is probably a little too late, I thought I throw in the perspective of about on the cusp of starting WMA on a regular basis.

Looking at many (most?) MA they are done in a derivitive of the type of clothing that was worn when the art was still being used.

Consider Chinese and Japanese armed and unarmed styles. Even modern fencing outfit are derived from from padded clothing of the past.

To produce a book that didn't echo the clothing of the time, would be counter intuitive. Of the books on the WMA that I have tried (with greater of lesser success), the ones that have depictions done in the historical equivalents hold my attention for far greater amounts of time.

I guess the equivalent would be taught etiquette taught by someone decked out as a Chav, hill billy, bogan, Westy or your local equivalent.

As they say, clothes maketh the man.

Perhaps it's time WMA has it's own 'uniform'. I could however, see this as problematic due to the range of historical period modern WMA covers.

Just a few thoughts.
Harlequin
Cadet

Postby Nikos » 15 Jan 2008 14:04

Yep, that is a little late, but we had already been over this clothing point in great detail. The fact is that historical clothing is not used because it immediately says re-enactment to most people, and we need to get away from that image, nothing wrong with re-enactment, but it isn't a martial art.

As for having standard clothing representative of the period, modified to be modern, well again we hit a problem, for we study weapons across a broad period, so what to wear, hose, breaches, trousers, what? If we want to look at a uniform or some form of uniformity in HEMA then thats a much wider issue that needs to be discussed, and not a decision to make for a book. Personally I would rather just see easily available HEMA equipment from suppliers which would automatically over time create a HEMA image.

Lastly, from talking to a lot of HEMA practitioners, the main feeling is that people want to accept that we as modern practiioners are studying a martial art, and that its historical nature is the tradition, more and more people coming to HEMA have little interest in history. I think considering the current state of HEMA, generic sports clothing are the best option.
Nick Thomas - Instructor
Academy of Historical Fencing
http://www.historicalfencing.co.uk

"When a man is challenged to the field, he is to answer by weapons and not words" Saviolo, 1595.
Nikos
General

Postby Harlequin » 15 Jan 2008 20:25

I think your comments are all fair.

As you said many are coming to the art with interest in history. I find that believable but unfathomable.

Why would you want to learn a historical martial art (especially a weapon wielding art) if you have no interest in history?

Is an army of sword wielding loonies being trained or are people preparing themselves for the coming Zombie War?
Harlequin
Cadet

Postby Nikos » 15 Jan 2008 21:17

Harlequin wrote:I think your comments are all fair.

As you said many are coming to the art with interest in history. I find that believable but unfathomable.

Why would you want to learn a historical martial art (especially a weapon wielding art) if you have no interest in history?

Is an army of sword wielding loonies being trained or are people preparing themselves for the coming Zombie War?

It certainly is an interesting trend, but a good one, what I would say is that HEMA is successfully making the move into fully pledged martial art rather than a more experimental and alternative form.

As for the reason of people joining without an interest in history, well the same could be said for many martial arts or sports, kendo, fencing, ken-jitsu, and a lot of the other martial arts out there are no more relevant to today than HEMA, and you would never consider an interest in history to be a requirement for them. People who aren't interested in history are clearly coming to HEMA as an alternative to eastern martial arts, for fun, discipline, exercise, commradery, its all good.
Nick Thomas - Instructor
Academy of Historical Fencing
http://www.historicalfencing.co.uk

"When a man is challenged to the field, he is to answer by weapons and not words" Saviolo, 1595.
Nikos
General

Postby Magnus Hagelberg » 22 Mar 2008 01:23

I would love to see the main charakter, the master that is, being the same trough out the book, but that you also change his opponent from time to time.
not just make it two blokes having a go at each others.

Bring in the smaller fella, the large fella. And as it is modern, bring in Girls into the picture aswell. some tekniques benefith from showing how they are done to a tall and a small persson. (one girl in our group is realy small, meaning its a different ballgame when you go up against her)
Magnus Hagelberg
Brigadier

Previous

Return to Johannes Liechtenauer Lineage