New book on German Longsword Combat - 1st Draft Here

Open to public view.

Postby TheDude » 19 Nov 2007 17:47

Thanks for that, I've revised the list above. I am thinking a download link from the swordworks site will be best along with a password that I wil send out to eachof you at the end of the week. Seem reasonable?

If you could PM me with how you would like your name listed it would help :-) Some people I only know here via their usernames!
TheDude
Major

Postby Richard Strey » 19 Nov 2007 19:08

I would like to offer my help, as well. I have close to seven years of experience with Longsword of the Liechtenauer variety and Meyer's Longsword. I have access to photocopies and/or transcriptions of Döbringer, von Danzig and Ringeck and a Meyer original at a week's notice. I'm a native German speaker and can read and interpret the aforementioned stuff. ;)
Richard Strey
Staff Sergeant

Postby Paul » 19 Nov 2007 21:58

A download link works for me. :)
The Dutch now have a better navy than us. - an unnamed senior officer in the Royal (UK) Navy, January 2007
Paul
Field Marshal

Postby Oli » 20 Nov 2007 08:38

downloadlink would be very okay

regarding acknowledgments: "Oliver Walter and Harald Winter* from Dreynschlag, Vienna" would be nice

*as i am sure we will work through this together 8)
I am the REAL Fabrice Cognot!
Oli
Sergeant-Major

Postby Martin Wallgren » 20 Nov 2007 08:57

download linky is fine:)!
Martin Wallgren
Major

Postby TheDude » 20 Nov 2007 10:29

Thanks all and also for your PMs and works of encouragement. I will keep you all posted in this thread. One interesting note is that I intend on updating the book as time progresses.
TheDude
Major

Postby TheDude » 20 Nov 2007 11:26

I have had a few questions on the images or artwork on my book and whether they will be high speed photos, sketches etc. Well, actually the illustration will be neither as I have elected to go the high tech route and use 3d modelling for the images. There are pros and cons for each system but this is one that fits my future plans and also always very clean and clear artwork in both mono or colour.

Here is an example:

TheDude
Major

Postby MugginsToadwort » 20 Nov 2007 12:15

Ooh, pretty. Very impressive.

I do look forward to downloading the draft.

How flexible is the model for the 3D pics, and will we be able to make use of it, if we send you manuscripts for publishing? My Meyer interpretation is picking up speed....
James Roberts
Medieval Armed Combat Society

Overqualified, overemployed, and looking to hit someone with a sword several times
MugginsToadwort
Major

Postby David Welch » 20 Nov 2007 12:31

Poser?

Have you thought about making animated gifs for your website, and label it in your book, so that somebody could look at ill.24 in the book and then look it up on your site and see the animation? Depending on how many you have that might be a lot of rendering, though.
David Welch
Major

Postby Paul B » 20 Nov 2007 12:51

Just "Paul Bennett" for me please, and a download will be fandabydozy. I like the 3D modeling btw. can the hand position be altered to show different grips?
.... or I could be completely wrong.

Paul Bennett SG6 - Bradford (Won/Lost/Played) 0/1/1
Carpentry and wooden weapons:
http://www.historicarts.co.uk
Paul B
Got Wood

Postby TheDude » 20 Nov 2007 13:11

Hi, we plan on producing DVDs at some point in the future will a mixture of full 3d animation and live action. With out background in feature film making I reckon we can do something a little more interesting and detailed than the norm. That is for another day though :-)
TheDude
Major

Postby Fab » 20 Nov 2007 13:58

I hope you'll be quite open minded with the criticism/remarks we'll make :)
Fab
Field Marshal

Postby TheDude » 20 Nov 2007 14:12

Of course. Can you imagine the tin of worms I am opening by asking for the opinon of 10+ WMA people??! ;-)
TheDude
Major

Postby Richard Strey » 20 Nov 2007 15:12

Yup. :D Using computer graphics definitely gives you the option of tweaking the image until it looks *exactly* what you want it to be. On the other hand, that could involve a lot of work. For example, how much can you tweak the hands? You'll want to show different versions of gripping the sword in different situations, sometimes the grip even shifts during a strike. So that's important.
Richard Strey
Staff Sergeant

Postby Matclarke » 20 Nov 2007 16:03

More than happy to help out if you want an Australian (i.e. superior in all things fighty like) opinion. :D

PM me if you want credentials.
Matclarke
Colonel

Postby Andreas Engström » 20 Nov 2007 16:29

TheDude wrote:Of course. Can you imagine the tin of worms I am opening by asking for the opinon of 10+ WMA people??! ;-)

You will receive roughly 20 opinions from any 10 people, on any given subject :-)

-Engström
Andreas Engström
Brigadier

Postby TheDude » 20 Nov 2007 16:44

Only 20??!!

It is a lot of work. I would say though that this book is designed for the total beginner. I intend on going into greater detail in later volume and then may go back and update and expand the original depending on the interest.
TheDude
Major

Postby Martin Wallgren » 20 Nov 2007 17:24

You could ask David Ringholm if you could use extracts from his Hanko Döbringer translation. Lots of goodies on basic things on how to fight with longsord there.
Martin Wallgren
Major

Postby Stevie T » 21 Nov 2007 13:31

TheDude wrote:I have had a few questions on the images or artwork on my book and whether they will be high speed photos, sketches etc. Well, actually the illustration will be neither as I have elected to go the high tech route and use 3d modelling for the images. There are pros and cons for each system but this is one that fits my future plans and also always very clean and clear artwork in both mono or colour.

Here is an example:

for me personally, either make the costume authentic or modern but, not fantasy!!!

I think the CGI stuff will work really well for the gaurds and perhaps focusing in but, personally I would like to see photos of real people with proper action shots, prolly taken from high speed video, so you can see them in motion.

IMO Toblers stuff doesn't always help because the pictures are static shots, there is literally no before or after to his images and I reckon your eye picks up on this.

So CGI for Gaurds, high speed shots for techniques, with CGI for focus upon specific aspects of technique.
Stevie T
Field Marshal

Postby Oli » 21 Nov 2007 13:58

Stevie T wrote:for me personally, either make the costume authentic or modern but, not fantasy!!!

thank you Stevie, just my thoughts exactly.

it may be not important to one who only and exclusively deals in WMA, but people (like me) who do also reenactment and are into the "medieval scene" could easily be deterred just by the fantasy-look, because in the so called "medieval scene" there are soooo many freaks out there who basically do not know what to do with a sword but preach you the art of fencing as if they were master Liechtenauer reincarnated ...

i would very much prefer modern clothing, as it signalizes that the author is someone who studies HEMA and nothing else without having a romantic or even unrealistic idea of ancient times ...

it also suggests that you did not really take a look at the pictures in the fechtbücher - as the clothing there is, of course, authentical.

my 2 cents on a topic that doesn't look so important on the first glimpse
I am the REAL Fabrice Cognot!
Oli
Sergeant-Major

PreviousNext

Return to Johannes Liechtenauer Lineage