New book on German Longsword Combat - 1st Draft Here

Open to public view.

Postby Richard Strey » 26 Nov 2007 16:05

TheDude wrote:We??! :-) Thanks BD, all your input will be mucho appreciated.

Hi again. I offered my help/begged to be let in somewhere in the middle of page two. Just in case you missed my post. :wink:
Richard Strey
Staff Sergeant

Postby TheDude » 09 Dec 2007 15:47

Hi all, update for you...

First of all, I have missed nobody and will be very happy to snd you all copies to have a good look over.

I just about finished the 1st draft last night (Sat) only to find this morning that my master docx file (Word 2007) was corrupt along with the backup I had also made. This is the master file saved onto my laptops HD and also my backup external drive. Not pleased at all! Microso%£" piece of ^£"^"!

Luckily I had a backup from mid-day Sat and have recovered the text from the corrupt file. I am about 90% the way through re-combining them into one file again. Thak the gods for making way too many backup files!

I therefore expect to have the 1st draft PDF file ready for mon or tues. I will post more on here shortly.

Kind regards
TheDude
Major

Postby Lord_Nelle » 09 Dec 2007 17:45

We are looking forward to give your book a go.
Anders "Nelle" Nilsson, Instructor Angermanna Mnhfs
I don´t get mad, I get stabby
Lord_Nelle
Sergeant-Major

Book 1st draft

Postby TheDude » 12 Dec 2007 19:30

Hi all,

I have uploaded the rough 1st draft on to my servers. If you are interested as per the start of this thread please PM me again and I will send you the password for the file. This file is a rough draft, not the final version.

http://www.spearheadfilms.co.uk/swordwo ... 0Draft.pdf
Work is (c) 2007 Michael Thomas

There are a couple of caveats:

1) Please do not distribute or swap the file with anybody else
2) The book is not complete, specifically anatomy of sword section and several placeholder graphics in the advanced guards section
3) Image 'figure text' not finished

This is obviously work in progress but your help/comments would be appreciated. Please don't be too harsh! ;-)

kindest regards
TheDude
Major

Postby Richard Strey » 18 Dec 2007 22:29

Hi!
It'll take some time to dig through this, but one thing stood out right away: You don't use the "Thumb Grip" in any of the appropriate images, which often leads to a "curled up" right wrist. See the Zwerchhau, left Plough or Schielhau images. Lindholm/Svard's book was lacking in that area, as well.
Is this intentional (doctrine) or a limit of the graphics engine?
Richard Strey
Staff Sergeant

Postby Oli » 19 Dec 2007 09:31

Richard Strey wrote:It'll take some time to dig through this

same here. actually i wanted to do this during the christmas holidays.
but unfortunately the file is protected so that i cannot print it - which is a pity because then i only could read it online in the office, which is a futile task if you want wise statements ...
I am the REAL Fabrice Cognot!
Oli
Sergeant-Major

Postby TheDude » 19 Dec 2007 11:21

PM'ed you both with regards to the book and printing.

With regards to the thumb this was an omission due to the engine though this is being rectified for the 1st revision. I most definitely do want the thumb there, it is especially useful for teaching the newbs.

Thanks for the info btw.
TheDude
Major

Postby Carlo Arellano » 30 Dec 2007 17:03

Do you need a cover illustration? Here is my blog with samples of my work. Most of it is videogame oriented I'm afraid but I am perfectly capable of doing an illustration of someone in period arms and armor. I believe i can create an interesting cover that's not just the "two guys with swords" kind of thing that we always see.

http://chainsawart.blogspot.com/

Carlo Arellano
Corporal

Postby Fab » 30 Dec 2007 17:11

Carlo Arellano wrote:Do you need a cover illustration? Here is my blog with samples of my work. Most of it is videogame oriented I'm afraid but I am perfectly capable of doing an illustration of someone in period arms and armor. I believe i can create an interesting cover that's not just the "two guys with swords" kind of thing that we always see.

http://chainsawart.blogspot.com/

Most excellent stuff. You are truly gifted.
Fab
Field Marshal

Postby Herbert » 30 Dec 2007 18:12

:!:
Nothing more to say - just :!:

Herbert
Herbert
Lieutenant Colonel

Previous

Return to Johannes Liechtenauer Lineage