What do you teach for your German syllabus?

Open to public view.

What do you teach for your German syllabus?

Postby TheDude » 17 Nov 2007 22:48

Hi all,

I am interested in what everybody else is teaching with regards to weapon combinations with regards to a rounded system of the German tradition based on Ringeck etc. I currently run a class based on Ringeck longsword and grappling with dagger work and messer coming shortly.

What do you do and what do you consider to be essential in creating a rounded syllabus?

Please note, I am asking 'you' as opposed to what Doebringer, Meyer etc describe as a complete system. I am ware of what they say, what interests me today is what you do:-)

kind regards
TheDude
Major

Postby AdamR » 18 Nov 2007 01:01

Hi,
We went long and hard into a syllabus - and then threw it in the bin and decided one was written several hundred years ago :lol: We use Von Danzig as a main structure - although different chapters might 'major' in different texts. In more detail we focus first on strike dynamics and the position of langenort - then into the use of the hengen - from that basis (I reckon that forms around 30-40% of the principles - although I haven't counted, so don't quote me) we can stick all the detail on - allowing for the sporadic attendance of some members :)
AdamR
Corporal

Postby TheDude » 18 Nov 2007 02:10

Thanks. How about different weapons though, what have you decided to keep and what have you put off for another day? Or do you try and cover everything? :-)
TheDude
Major

Postby MugginsToadwort » 18 Nov 2007 08:45

Hmmm....

When I first started classes in Pretoria (i.e. had a group bigger than myself and Eon), I used to do both messer and longsword, with an occassional dagger class. However, we found that between longsword and messer the progress was very slow. So, now I do mainly longsword to get the basics in, with messer as an add-on. The daggerwork is done as a warm-up for 40 minutes in the beginning of the 3 hour class, and once a month I do a concerted daggerwork and halfsword class.
James Roberts
Medieval Armed Combat Society

Overqualified, overemployed, and looking to hit someone with a sword several times
MugginsToadwort
Major

Postby AdamR » 18 Nov 2007 20:05

We probably do 80% longsword in my chapter - then 15% dagger and an increasing amount of S+M - oh - a little ringen too - other chapters do more S+B - weapon choice is more to do with weapons available for me - S+B really helps your longsword technique IMHO - different weapons help to add to distance appreciation too. Mix n match - how is up to the dynamics of the specific group
AdamR
Corporal

Return to Johannes Liechtenauer Lineage