3227a questions

Open to public view.

3227a questions

Postby Matclarke » 30 Oct 2007 15:41

I've started to read 3227a again, and have a few queries over some of the text.

What do people make of these passages.

18V
"This is a general teaching of the sword. If you want to display skill, go with the left and follow right with the strikes, and left with right is how you will fence with strength."

19V
"...the artful fencer should place his left foot forward and strike with it from the right side straight at the man with true strikes..."

"Also when you want to fence strongly, then fence from the left side..."
Matclarke
Colonel

Re: 3227a questions

Postby Fab » 30 Oct 2007 15:54

Matclarke wrote:I've started to read 3227a again, and have a few queries over some of the text.

18V
"This is a general teaching of the sword. If you want to display skill, go with the left and follow right with the strikes, and left with right is how you will fence with strength."

Wiltu kunst schawen sich link gen und recht mete hawen. Und link mit rechten is gas du stark gerest fechten

I'd say, using the Arts d'Armes translation as a good help tool, "go from the left (ie to the right) striking from the right"

When you're engaging, say, with a Zorn, start with the left foot forward, and move to your right when striking (ie moving left to right, in a way, while strikign from your right).

19V
"...the artful fencer should place his left foot forward and strike with it from the right side straight at the man with true strikes..."

Same as above. Start with your left side leading, strike from the right, and strike true.*

*can also be utter bullpoop
Fab
Field Marshal

Postby Stevie T » 30 Oct 2007 16:02

Could it be?

Starting with left leg forwards in right Vom Tag, take a small/half tranversing step with the left, to the right, then step with the right off centre line while striking.

This moves you to a "safer" place and attacks a less protected aspect of your opponent. It also enables a greater amount of power to be put into the strike.

(It also causes blows to land to the anterior aspect of the skull and upper vertibrae - sound familiar :wink: )
Stevie T
Field Marshal

Postby admin » 30 Oct 2007 16:26

Assuming your opponent is sleep walking and doesn't react..
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Stevie T » 30 Oct 2007 16:38

Well there are few things to say to that.

One the left step doesn't have to be that big, a rotation of the ball of the foot pushing the heal to the right would creat the difference in body mechanics. This can also be seen in some of the Talhoffer illustrations.

Plus the 1/2 step would happen in the vor with the main movement of the body coming at the indes with the strike being made in the nac.

This would not mean you'd always complete the strike but that you would be left with the initniative.

Also has been discussed fights do not start from static "en gaurd" situations, both participants will be moving so this 1/2 step may have occurred as part of this movement.

He is saying that this is the strongest way to fight, not that it is always the most appropriate way to fight - ringeck says left forward and step with the right but, he does not always do this.

The other guy might not have a clue!
Stevie T
Field Marshal

Postby admin » 30 Oct 2007 17:01

I think you misunderstood me, forget about it..
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Postby Stevie T » 30 Oct 2007 17:06

admin wrote:I think you misunderstood me, forget about it..

Trauma patterns?

I'm trying to improve my understanding so forgetting is dificult
Stevie T
Field Marshal

Postby Stevie T » 31 Oct 2007 12:54

Sorry to derail the thread Matt C.....

Matt take a look at this

hits to the back of the head

2:32 to 2:35
Stevie T
Field Marshal

Re: 3227a questions

Postby Harry » 31 Oct 2007 21:39

Matclarke wrote:I've started to read 3227a again, and have a few queries over some of the text.

18V

19V

18v: you follow your blow from the right side with your left foot. therefore you have start in the guard with your left foot forward. only in this case you have much power in your blows.
MC-Stats (Won/Lost/Fought/Open: 2/2/4/4)

"Take away all his weapons and than kick him in the ass" - Free Translation from the Viennese Gladiatoria
Harry
Colonel

Return to Johannes Liechtenauer Lineage