Hundsfelds 1/2 sword Interpretation Workshop - the aftermath

Open to public view.

Hundsfelds 1/2 sword Interpretation Workshop - the aftermath

Postby Paul B » 09 Jul 2007 22:04

Hi to everyone who took part in my workshop on Sunday, I hope you had an enjoyable and productive time. But the work is not yet over!

Several of you expressed a desire to carry on with discusions of technique and translations of the text. I have opened this thread as a means of doing so. You are of course free to PM me as well.

As before, I open the floor to you guys.....
Last edited by Paul B on 10 Jul 2007 20:07, edited 1 time in total.
.... or I could be completely wrong.

Paul Bennett SG6 - Bradford (Won/Lost/Played) 0/1/1
Carpentry and wooden weapons:
http://www.historicarts.co.uk
Paul B
Got Wood

text of the workshop

Postby Paul B » 09 Jul 2007 22:07

(137r) Hie heb sich an das kűrtz swert in dem kanpff als es meinster mertein hündsfelder gesait hatt

Item Nim das swertt bÿ der rechten hant bÿ dem beÿn und mit der lincken griff mitten in die clingen und ge vast zu dem man, So müß er schlagen oder stechen, do küm vor und biß rechs pleyb sollichenn und pleib nohenn.

Das erst stuck
Item Stich Im Inwendig zu synen gesicht, wirt er dir daß, So far durch und setz im an außwendig an sin gesicht, wirtt er daß furbaß und stichet dir den ort ab, so wind mit dine knopff in uber sin rechte achsell und spring mit dinem rechten peyn hinder sin linckes und wurff in uber ruck.

Ein bruch
Item Wer dir daß thut und hat dir den knaupff an den hals geworffen, so far mit diner lincken hant von unten auff zwischen sinen payden arme vnd begreif yn pey seine rechten arm und schwing dich dan von Im auff din rechten siten und wurff yn uber die hüff.

Item Wan er dir den knopff umb den hals will werffen, So griff mit der lincken hant von dir und griff unter sin rachte hant an daß pyntt und an den knapff und züch den under sich und setz ÿm an mit dyne schwertt wo dü willt.

(137v) Item wen er dir den knaupff begriffen hat, So wind mit düne knaupff von unden auff außwendig umb sin lincke hant und schub mit dine rechten pÿn fursich und stoß in mit diner clingen an sin lincken arm.

(137r) Here begins the shortened sword fighting [with longswords] as Master Mertein Hündsfelder has taught.

Note: Take the sword with your right hand by your leg and with your left hand in the middle of the blade and go fast to the man, so he must cut or thrust, you just step in and remain on the right side and stay close [to him].

The first bout
Note: Thrust him inwardly to his face, parries he this, go through [to the other side] and thrust him his face from the outside; yet he parries this and thrusts his point upwards, so wind with your pommel above his right shoulder and spring with your right leg behind his left and throw him on his back.

A breaking
Note: Someone does this to you, and has his pommel on your neck, so go with your left hand from below between his arms grabbing his right arm and swing yourself to the right from him and throw him over your hip.

Note: When he wants to throw his pommel over your neck, so get his handle or pommel under his right hand with your left hand, pull it downwards and hit him with your sword wherever you wish.

(137v) Note: If he grabbed your pommel, wind your pommel from below upwards and out, over his left hand and move in with your right leg and hit him with your sword on his left arm.

Paul B
Got Wood

Postby Paul B » 09 Jul 2007 22:09

PM me with your email address or go to the HEMAC website for the entire document.

Paul B
Got Wood

Re: text of the workshop

Postby Herbert » 14 Jul 2007 11:12

Paul B wrote:[color=red]

Item Nim das swertt bÿ der rechten hant bÿ dem beÿn und mit der lincken griff mitten in die clingen und ge vast zu dem man, So müß er schlagen oder stechen, do küm vor und biß rechs pleyb sollichenn und pleib nohenn.

Note: Take the sword with your right hand by your leg and with your left hand in the middle of the blade and go fast to the man, so he must cut or thrust, you just step in and remain on the right side and stay close [to him].

To continue what we talked about in the workshop:
I would see the translation here a bit different:
Take the sword.....in the middle of the blade and go almost to the man so he must strike or thrust you act before him and remain on the right side...

The changes I would make are highlighted in bold. It is a more literal translation of the german text. In almost to the man he talks about distance and not speed, in strike or thrust the difference is not really great but may be misleading, in act before him (before he does) your reaction may be to step in but he doesn't talk about a step. It makes most sense to step but it could be another thing. It can be read as "come forward" but also as "act faster (than he does)".

Thanks for your patience of my nagging and nitpicking.

Herbert
Herbert
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Paul B » 14 Jul 2007 15:20

Cheers Herbert, translations are precisely the place where nitpicking is a good thing!

Paul B
Got Wood

Return to Johannes Liechtenauer Lineage