Peter von Danzig on Wiktenauer

Open to public view.

Peter von Danzig on Wiktenauer

Postby Michael Chidester » 11 Apr 2011 02:05

Two new articles are now complete on Wiktenauer. One is the well-known Anonymous gloss of Johannes Liechtenauer's Kampffechten (often attributed to Peter von Danzig), including a full composite of transcriptions by various authors, translation by Mike Rasmusson, and images from Goliath. The other is the gloss of Liechtenauer's Kampffechten that Danzig actually wrote, transcribed by Dierk Hagedorn and translated by myself.

http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Johannes_Liechtenauer

http://wiktenauer.com/wiki/Peter_von_Danzig

My translation is rough, but I hope serviceable. As usual, thanks to Dierk Hagedorn for providing both the transcription and a modern German translation that I referenced heavily, and to Christian Tobler, whose translation I turned to several times to help untangle confusing passages. Enjoy.
Last edited by Michael Chidester on 12 Apr 2011 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Chidester
Colonel

Re: Armored fencing on Wiktenauer

Postby Michael Chidester » 12 Apr 2011 16:21

There are a number of treatises that I think I have enough data points on to attempt a rough translation along the lines of what I did with Peter von Danzig, but I'm curious if people find such endeavors worthwhile when higher-quality, more polished products are already available from men like Christian Tobler.
Michael Chidester
Colonel

Re: Peter von Danzig on Wiktenauer

Postby KeithFarrell » 12 Apr 2011 16:56

I think there is always a place for rough translations. Every little helps, and to get some more sources translated will certainly not hurt. Also, it might help from another point of view: people who can't afford the published translations at the moment will be happy to use the rough translations on the Wiktenauer, but they may well be encouraged to go out and buy the published versions of the more refined translations at a later date.
-- Keith Farrell --
Academy of Historical Arts: website | Facebook
Fallen Rook Publishing: website | Facebook
KeithFarrell.net: website
KeithFarrell
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Peter von Danzig on Wiktenauer

Postby Magnus Hagelberg » 13 Apr 2011 22:52

as long as you post a labeling telling that it's a rough translation, so that the people on say...certain forums don'w get their hackles up too much. I think you shold defenatly go for it.
IF it's free-it tastes to much better you know =)
Magnus Hagelberg
Brigadier

Return to Johannes Liechtenauer Lineage