Gladiatoria lost and found

Open to public view.

Gladiatoria lost and found

Postby Dierk Hagedorn » 08 Aug 2010 16:31

Dear friends of the manuscripts,

allow me just a brief update on the current count of German Fechtbücher:
The number is still 65.

I could add one to my list (see also this thread) but on the other hand I had to take one off.

The other manuscript is one of the Gladiatoria group. One year ago, I was able to identify the "Fencing Manual" from New Haven as the former Ms. membr. II 109 from Gotha that was believed to be lost by Hans-Peter Hils not only in his book "Meister Johann Liechtenauers Kunst des langen Schwertes" but also in his essay "Gladiatoria" from 1987. In Hils’ manuscript catalogue it has the number 21.

Now I am happy being able to announce that another manuscript from Hils’ catalogue has been identified: The elusive Ms ’T’ that was sold in various auctions in Heidelberg between 1956 and 1964. Coincidentally, it is the very same manuscript. Hils considered it to be lost completely. However, lucky accidents apparently happen every now and then. The order of the folios is somwhat odd, some are missing, but not to a considerable extent. For further information, have a look at my little introduction to that manuscript which will be updated later.

Best regards
Dierk
Dierk Hagedorn
Sergeant

Re: Gladiatoria lost and found

Postby admin » 15 Sep 2010 12:22

Thanks for sharing Dierk! Great research.
http://www.antique-swords.co.uk/

I like swords more than you.
admin
Emperor

Return to Johannes Liechtenauer Lineage